Rumors about an executive leaving his job must be serious when the executive and his boss are forced to talk with The New York Times to set the record straight. For weeks, some would say since August of 2003 when he was hired, rumors have circulated about Warner Independent Pictures president Mark Gill leaving his post or being forced out. Speculation persisted, as I mentioned here earlier this week, when a leading indie figure told me that WIP was paralyzed by speculation that Gill would leave, with execs prepping resumes and shopping themselves to other companies.
But wait, there’s more…
On Wednesday night, after Time Warner corporate siblings HBO and New Line unveiled their new specialty division, rumors intensified. A leading agent told me that Gill was already out, a noted indie figure said that a friend had called to recommend him for the job, and another source told me that according to a person close to Gill, the exec was out and the company was about to announce the news.
Having heard enough, late Wednesday night I contacted a WIP spokesperson and then the leading Warner Bros. studio corporate spokesperson. Through the miracle of Blackberry technology, we traded numerous short emails and indieWIRE was able to report in today’s story that Mark Gill was staying at Warner Bros. Reacting to my comment that I had been hearing from “all sides” that Mark Gill was leaving WIP, the studio spokesperson told me after 1 a.m., “All your sides are wrong…Mark not leaving.” Today, a Warner Independent spokesperson reiterated again, “Mark’s not going anywhere.”
The New York Times article by Sharon Waxman, running in tomorrow’s paper, emphasizes:
“I don’t want Mark to leave, Mark has no intention of leaving, and I’m not letting Mark leave even if he wanted to,” Warner’s president of production, Jeff Robinov, said of Mr. Gill in an interview. “We’re hanging in there. We’re going to continue together.