Tonight, Harry Knowles, Ain’t It Cool News, and the Alamo Drafthouse hosted a special sneak preview of the remake of The Amityville Horror opening in theaters this weekend. What was so special about this sneak preview? Here’s what you missed, maybe even if you were there:
– Maintaining his reign as one of the great cinematic showmen today, Alamo Drafthouse co-owner/co-founder Tim League constructed a replica of the legendary house from the film. Sitting outside the theater’s entrance, eager patrons had to march inside the mini-house for a minute or two to obtain their tickets. The catch? Inside the house were approximately 25,000 living flies, as an homage to the horror classic.
– In attendance for the screening were a few of the film’s producers as well as star Ryan Reynolds. During his introduction, Tim acknowledged that not only did Reynolds enter the house of flies, there were about three or four in his mouth as he exited.
– The trailer for Domino, which makes me just wanna say, “I wanna see this movie now!”
– During the Q&A, Ryan Reynolds proved he’s just a really funny guy. Fans of his sitcom Two Guys and a Girl know this… but have you seen Van Wilder? I swear, in it you will see Reynolds give off the kind of sarcastic charm Chevy Chase exhausted in about two years during the late ’70s.
– Also, the audience got quite a laugh out of realizing that “Billy,” the kid in the film, was portrayed by a young actor named Jesse James.
– After the film, several Amityville “blood globes” (think snow globes, only bloodier) were handed out. To earn your blood globe, audience members were asked to come up with haikus to describe the film. They were required to be in proper 5-7-5 phrasing.
– It would be foolish of me to suggest “no flies were harmed in the making of this screening”… though Tim assured us that PETA does not include flies under their umbrella of “animals” to protect… so we can all sleep okay tonight. Until our house forces us to kill.