Last night, the Austin Film Society hosted its second big benefit screening of the week. This time, it was a special screening of Sin City, Robert Rodriguez’s adaptation of Frank Miller’s graphic novels. Once again, the Paramount Theater played host to a fabulous time. Here’s what you may have missed, even if you were there:
– The film is an amazing visual epic. It sprawls, it bounces, it pops, and it explodes like no film you’ve ever seen before.
– The cast and directors arrived to the red carpet in vintage cars, straight out of the film’s world.
– Robert Rodriguez set up microphones throughout the theater to record audience reaction audio for the film. During his introduction of the film, he noted that with the Sin City DVD there will be a special feature where you can watch the film with a soundtrack of the crowd’s reactions to the screening.
– In attendance with the film were directors Robert Rodriguez and Frank Miller, as well as co-stars Jaime King and Nick Stahl. No word on whether Stahl could confirm or deny rumors that his show Carnivale is about to get the axe.
– Also in attendance were a plethora of Austin film staples, including Ethan Hawke, Richard Linklater, Harry Knowles, Tommy Pallotta, John & Janet Pierson, Bryan Poyser, Wiley Wiggins, Paul Stekler, Cauleen Smith, and more.
– The after-party at Stubb’s featured a headlining set by Texas rocker (and Rodriguez’s sister) Patricia Vonne. Vonne recently released the album Guitars and Castanets and is also featured in the film.