Here are 7 things I realized while watching Superman Returns over the weekend:
1. Clark Kent is probably the worst career reporter in the history of the planet.
2. Lois Lane apparently became pregnant and had a son within 5 years. But, the kid is no way a day younger than 7 or 8 years old.
3. Brandon Routh is no Christopher Reeve. Nothing will make you appreciate (and miss) Reeve’s Julliard-trained acting chops more than this new film.
4. Superman Returns is a good, quality blockbuster with some terrific moments. Best of all is probably the airplane/shuttle setpiece in the sky.
5. Why is Kal Penn in this movie? The guy has more talent and a big enough resume, he doesn’t need to play the random henchman with like four lines of dialogue.
6. John Williams’ original score from the first Superman film still stands as one of the best pieces of movie music in the last few decades.
7. Were actors Sam Huntington (“Jimmy Olsen” in Returns) and Paul Dano (Little Miss Sunshine) separated at birth? Judge for yourself: