October 17-20, a coalition of Austin media arts organizations (including SXSW) will come together to help host the annual National Alliance for Media Arts and Culture (NAMAC) conference. Media arts groups from around the nation will meet in Austin for four days of panels, receptions, screenings, and other events. Keynote speakers announced so far include Austin-based filmmaker Richard Linklater, as well as John Lester of booming online community, Second Life. Some of the non-panel events, according to NAMAC, include:
– Experience site-specific art installations and on-site gallery spaces highlighting work by both Texas and national artists.
– Explore the world-renowned Harry Ransom Center, location of the opening reception.
– Enjoy the Alamo Drafthouse Rolling Roadshow (curated for the Conference by Richard Linklater) at the legendary Texas BBQ eatery, The Salt Lick.
– Participate in curator-guided tours at such art spaces as Arthouse and The Blanton Museum of Art with your colleagues.
– Conclude your stay with closing night festivities featuring The Gourds, a true Austin original.
– Other special events include the NAMAC Youth M.A.F.I.A. Conference Film Festival and celebratory cocktail receptions for both Renew Media and Southwest Alternate Media Project (SWAMP), Houston.