– The Wachowskis (The Matrix) are jumping on Warner Bros.’ remake wagon with Hood, less than a year after Universal brought the story of the legendary thief back to life with Russell Crowe and Cate Blanchett in Ridley Scott’s Robin Hood. Rest assured the Wachowski’s version (which they wrote) will be different: a modern, urban retelling with Will Smith rumored to be involved. They have also been working on CN-9, said to include an archeological investigation of two US soldiers falling in love in Iraq and an assassination plot against George W. Bush. No word on when either will start shooting.
– Director John Hillcoat is following up The Road with prohibition-era thriller The Wettest County in the World, penned by Nick Cave, with Shia LaBeouf and Tom Hardy attached to play bootleggers. This is set to shoot in the spring, from Red Wagon, the producers of Girl, Interrupted and Jarhead.
– Mark Wahlberg is wasting no steam while The Fighter‘s buzz builds, gearing up to produce and star in LA based sci-fi-alien-robot project The Raven (not John Cusack’s Edgar Allen Poe project). The film began as a short; writer Justin Mark is extending it into a feature.
– And now, Movieline has posted a retelling of ten of the most ridiculous casting and/or development rumors of the year. The top five include:
5. Ridley and Tony Scott will take over MGM
4. Martin Scorsese and Lars von Trier will collaborate on a remake of Taxi Driver
3. Russell Crowe and Beyonce Knowles will lead the latest Star is Born remake
2. George Lucas is developing a new trilogy of Star Wars films
1. Heath Ledger will make a posthumous cameo in The Dark Knight Rises