Jeremy Renner Not Attached To ‘The Master’ Any Longer
Who would have thought a billionairess would come to the rescue of Paul Thomas Anderson? That seems to be the case and perhaps, Megan Ellison, the 25-year-old daughter of American business magnate and Oracle boss Larry Ellison, simply just has a lot of money and good taste.
Vulture is reporting that she might be providing financial support for his two, still unproduced projects, one the Untitled Scientology project known as “The Master” in fan circles that Philip Seymour Hoffman and Jeremy Renner are meant to star in and “Inherent Vice,” and adaptation of famous recluse Thomas Pynchon‘s 2009 stoner detective novel.
Robert Downey Jr. was once said to be circling the lead role in ‘Vice,’ but he has a hole in his fourth quarter schedule now thanks to the actor dropping out of Sam Raimi‘s “Oz: The Great and Powerful.”
Here’s the highlights from Vulture’s lengthy and detailed article and things you need to know.
1. PTA has already written a first draft and is halfway done with a second on “Inherent Vice.”
2. He obtained the blessing of Pynchon and frequently consulted him on the aforementioned drafts.
3. Though Hoffman and Renner have both said in the past that PTA shelved “The Master” on his own because it wasn’t fully cooked yet, Vulture says Universal balked at its $35 million price tag and wouldn’t give it a green light in September (when it was rumored to shoot).
4. PTA could shoot either film. It’s unclear which one could go in front of cameras first, but it’s very possible he could be shooting one of them this year.
5. Wondering how “The Wettest County In The World” went from deader than Dillinger to amassing an amazing cast and back up on its feet? This same, ex-party girl Megan Ellison is evidently one of the co-financiers. Hey, if she can help John Hillcoat put a film back on the screen that we thought we’d never see, it’s certainly possible she can do the same for PTA.