Is there another studio as successful as Pixar? In the 25 years it’s been in operation they have yet to have a single box office failure. They know how to put together an extremely well made solid story with interesting involving characters better than anyone. As well as knowing how to market the hell out of their films.
So it shouldn’t come as any surprise that their latest Cars 2 is going to be a huge success just like all their other films. Despite the fact that it got perhaps the worst reviews for any film in the company’s history. Personally I don’t know why. It’s so much better than 2006’s Cars which was a long, boring, hard slog to get through. At least Cars 2 isn’t boring.
Also not surprisingly, Green Lantern dropped a huge 66% from last week. I know there were some who, in some articles and blogs, heralded this as the beginning of the end for superhero comic book movies. They’re dreaming. That ain’t happening anytime soon.
1. Cars 2 3D (Pixar/Disney) Weekend $68
2. Bad Teacher (Sony) Weekend $31
3. Green Lantern 3D (Warner Bros) Weekend $12.1, Cume $89.3M.
4. Super 8 (Paramount) Week 3 Weekend $12.1M, Cume $95.3M
5. Mr. Popper’s Penguins (Fox) Weekend $10.3M , Cume $40.1M
6. X-Men: First Class (Fox) Weekend $6.8M, Cume $133M
7. The Hangover Part II (Legendary/Warner Bros) Weekend $5.8M, Cume $244M
8. Bridesmaids (Universal) Week 7 Weekend $5.5M, Cume $146.8M
9. Pirates Of The Caribbean 4 3D (Disney) Weekend $4.7M, Cume $229.1M
10. Midnight In Paris (Sony Classics) Weekend $4.2M, Cume $28.3M