Actor Says His (Co-)Directorial Debut ‘Jay and Seth vs. Apocalypse’ Shoots In February
Ok, the speculation can end. Earlier this year when producer/writer/director Judd Apatow announced he was making a “Knocked Up” spin-off film that would focus on the married couple in the film played by Paul Rudd and Leslie Mann, many assumed and or hoped, that we’d also be seeing the two leads of that comedy, Seth Rogen and Katherine Heigl.
It’s not to be, at least not for Rogen. Speaking to Movies.com today he confirmed he will not be in the film. “Yeah I’m not in it, but I went to visit the set and it looked hilarious,” Rogen told them explaining that adding his character into that script simply wouldn’t work and might add to audience confusion. “It was a good choice, honestly, because I think it would’ve confused people,” he said. “But I’m really looking forward to seeing it; I thought the script was unbelievably funny.”
Why would it “confuse” audiences exactly? That he didn’t explain, but we’ll assume the storyline to Apatow’s comedy — currently untitled but known as “This Is Forty” — is set some place where Rogen and Heigl’s characters are not easily accessible. Of course there’s no confirmation that Heigl is not in the film, but we’d assume if Rogen’s out, adding her would only confuse more (though if audiences are like us, they’ll be curious to hear if that odd couple is still together — gotta say it would be incredibly depressing if they had split).
“This Is Forty” also stars Megan Fox, Albert Brooks, Melissa McCarthy, Chris O’Dowd, John Lithgow, Jason Segel, Charlyne Yi, Lena Dunham, but not Martin Starr, who also recently admitted he met with Apatow and discussed the film, but ultimately, his character didn’t fit either. As for characters from “Knocked-Up” like Jonah Hill, Jay Baruchel or Harold Ramis? They’re all part of Rogen’s story, so presumably they’re on the sidelines as well.
Meanwhile, and speaking of Baruchel, remember the long-gestating project “Jay and Seth vs. Apocalypse” that Rogen recently said he and longtime friend and co-writing partner Evan Goldberg may direct? Well, it’s happening. Rogen calls it an “oddly personal” film and one that will shoot this February. “It’s now much more than just Jay and Seth — there’s many other people vs. the apocalypse now. It’s gonna be crazy.”
That’s likely a hint at all the celebrity cameos they originally envisioned (other rumors include Daniel Radcliffe taking a role). Either way, we’ll see. “This Is Forty” (or whatever it’s ultimately called, don’t be surprised when that’s the title), hits theaters December 21, 2012. “Jay and Seth vs. Apocalypse” probably won’t arrive until sometime in 2013. Here’s the original short that spawned this upcoming full-length feature.