You just knew it didn’t you? That The Help was going to be No.1 again this weekend. It’s like a freight train you can’t stop. And there have to be black people who really like this film – though I’m guessing that most of them are those really old black folks on wheelchairs and walkers that I’ve been seeing lately at movie theaters.
Columbiana dropped a steep 45% from last week which means either the word of mouth is not good on the film, or there are people who have a problem with an attractive black female in the lead and not in a subservient role or maybe both.
This week’s list below…
1. The Help (DreamWorks/Disney) Est 4-Day Weekend $18M, Est Cume $122M
2. The Debt (Focus Features) Est 4-Day Weekend $12M, Est Cume $14M
3. Apollo 18 (Dimension/The Weinstein Co) Est 4-Day Weekend $11M
4. Shark Night 3D (Relativity) Est 4-Day Weekend $11M
5. Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes (Fox) Est 4-Day Weekend $10M, Est Cume $162M
6. Colombiana (Sony) Est 4-Day Weekend $10M, Est Cume $24M
7. Don’t Be Afraid Of The Dark (FilmDistrict) Est 4-Day Weekend $6M, Est Cume $17.6M
8. Our Idiot Brother (The Weinstein Co) Est 4-Day Weekend $6.5M, Est Cume $16.5M
9. Spy Kids 4D – 3D (Dimension/Weinstein Co) Est 4-Day Weekend $6.3M, Est Cume $30.5M
10. The Smurfs (Sony) Est 4-Day Weekend $5M, Est Cume $133M