The Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences has announced the shortlist of films vying for a nomination for Best Documentary, Short Subject. The final nominations will be announced January 24, and the awards will be handed out February 26, 2012.
The 8 films on the shortlist are below, listed with their directors (when known) and production company:
* “The Barber of Birmingham: Foot Soldier of the Civil Rights Movement” (Directors: Gail Dolgin & Robin Fryday), Purposeful Productions, Inc.
* “God Is the Bigger Elvis” (Director: Rebecca Cammisa), Documentress Films
* “In Tahrir Square: 18 Days of Egypt’s Unfinished Revolution” (Directors: Jon Alpert & Matthew O’Neill) Downtown Docs
* “Incident in New Baghdad” (Director: James Spione), Morninglight Films
* “Pipe Dreams” (Director: Leslie Iwerks) Leslie Iwerks Productions
* “Saving Face” (Directors: Daniel Junge and Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy) Milkhaus/Jungefilm
* “The Tsunami and the Cherry Blossom” (Director: Lucy Walker) Supply & Demand Integrated
* “Witness,” Buche