For the most part, comic book movies have never had great soundtracks, and generally, they tend to bring together a generic mass of rawk music, the kind of stuff that studio suits think that the steretypical 14 year-old boys watching the film would really be into. But the rest of the movie world has realized that a) girls listen to music too and b) corporate rock is out, indie rock is in (please see the shift towards Pitchfork approved bands on those "Twilight" soundtracks). But for the folks at Marvel, it's still 1998.
The official soundtrack list for "The Avengers" was tweeted out today and it's one of those "music from and inspired by" deals, but the selection is truly headscratching. Seriously, what fucking year is this? Papa Roach? Scott Weiland? Theory Of A Deadman? Buckcherry? Evanescence? Do people still actually listen to this music? Our guess is that the going rate for faded 1990s bands is probably a lot more affordable for the penny pinching Marvel, which must take precedence over gathering anthing remotely resembling something hip and contemporary. Oh, okay, so Soundgarden wrote their first new song in 15 years so that's something we guess, and you can now hear the lifeless results of that song in full below (via Movies.com).
Anyway, enjoy listening to Bush and Rise Against when the soundtrack lands on May 1st. The movie arrives on May 4th.
"The Avengers" Soundtrack Tracklist
01. "Live To Us" – Soundgarden
02. "I'm Alive – Shinedown
03. "Dirt & Roses – Rise Against
04. "Even If I could – Papa Roach
05. "Unbroken" – Black Veil Brides
06. "Breath" – Scott Weiland
07. "Comeback" – Redlight King
08. "Into The Blue" – Bush
09. "A New Way To Bleed" (Photex Remix) – Evanescence
10. "Count Me Out" – Pusherjones
11. "Shoot To Thrill" – Theory of A Deadman
12. "Whereever I Go" – Buckcherry
13. "From Out Of Nowhere" – Five Finger Death Punch
14. "Shake The Ground" – Cherri Bomb
15. "Pistols At Dawn" – Kasabian