Director John Hillcoat’s welcome feature-length return “Lawless” will soon be making its way in front of the eyes of the world as it begins its international rollout at the end of the month. While others wait to see the film that one of our staffers enjoyed quite a bit, a few promotional tidbits are hitting the web to help satiate your thirst for the Bondurant boys and their bootlegged liquor.
First, we already provided the bulk of the soundtrack specifics during Cannes for the cover-heavy tunes found in the film, but now an official tracklisting has hit the web for the album you can pick up in stores on August 28th – the day before the film hits theaters stateside. Covers of the Velvet Underground’s “White Light/WhiteHeat,” along with various Link Wray and Captain Beefheart renditions make up the majority of the sound landscape for the film. Screenwriter and composer Nick Cave is joined by Emmylou Harris and Mark Lanegan to create some prohibition blues, as well as choice tunes by Willie Nelson and Ralph Stanley making the cut.
A few more little pieces of promotional material have popped up in the form of some posters. A U.K. poster employs some shoddy Photoshopping skills to push the film’s big three – Shia Labeouf, Tom Hardy and Mia Wasikowska – in potential viewers faces. A similar U.S. poster has also hit the web, only swapping out Wasikowska for actress Jessica Chastain, but the most enjoyable of all these little bits is an infographic of the United States’ prohibition era history – tieing it into the tale of the Bondurant boys and their alcohol smuggling ways.
Check out the track listing and posters below, and be sure to go see “Lawless” on August 29th.
1. The Bootleggers [ft. Mark Lanegan]: “Fire and Brimstone” (Link Wray cover)
2. The Bootleggers [ft. Nick Cave]: “Burnin’ Hell”
3. Ralph Stanley: “Sure ‘Nuff Yes I Do” (Captain Beefheart cover)
4. The Bootleggers [ft. Emmylou Harris]: “Fire in the Blood”
5. The Bootleggers [ft. Mark Lanegan]: “White Light / White Heat” (Velvet Underground cover)
6. The Bootleggers [ft. Emmylou Harris]: “Cosmonaut”
7. Nick Cave, Warren Ellis, Emmylou Harris, and Ralph Stanley: “Fire in the Blood” / “Snake Song”(Townes Van Zandt cover)
8. The Bootleggers [ft. Liela Moss and Emmylou Harris]: “Aim Towards the Sky” (Grandaddy cover)
9. The Bootleggers [ft. Emmylou Harris] : “Fire in the Blood”
10. Ralph Stanley: “Fire and Brimstone” (Link Wray cover)
11. The Bootleggers [ft. Mark Lanegan]: “Sure ‘Nuff Yes I Do” (Captain Beefheart cover)
12. Ralph Stanley: “White Light / White Heat” (Velvet Underground cover)
13. Nick Cave and Warren Ellis: “End Crawl”
14. Willie Nelson: “Midnight Run” (bonus track)