While the trailer for “Killing Them Softly” may feature Johnny Cash, the movie itself doesn’t quite go for The Man In Black. Andrew Dominik‘s searing and scathing film takes a select batch of tunes ranging from pop standards to rock ‘n’ roll classics and uses them distinctly, powerfully and usually ironically to help spin his tale of a heist gone wrong in a crumbling America.
With the film hitting theaters in the U.K. today, we’ve got a list of all the songs used within the picture. The song titles alone — “Life Is Just A Bowl Of Cherries,” “Money (That’s What I Want,” “Wrap Your Troubles In Dreams,” “I think This Town Is Nervous” — speaks to the thematic undercurrent of the movie, which is as much about a financially crippled nation as it is about Brad Pitt‘s Jackie Cogan tracking down Frankie (Scoot McNairy) and Russell (Ben Mendelsohn) after they knock off the high stakes poker game run by Ray Liotta‘s Markie Trattman.
Check ’em all out below, along with some samples that will make for some good lunchtime listening (just on their own, the songs are great). “Killing Them Softly” opens in U.S. theaters on November 30th. The soundtrack hits digitally on October 16th with a physical release following on November 13th.
Killing Them Softly (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)
01. Moon Dance – Carl Stone
02. The Man Comes Around – James Wilsey
03. Life Is Just a Bowl of Cherries- Jack Hylton & His Orchestra
04. Heroin – The Velvet Underground
05. Wrap Your Troubles in Dreams – Nico
06. Love Letters – Kitty Lester
07. I Think This Town is Nervous – The Wreckery
08. It’s Only a Paper Moon – Cliff “Ukulele Ike” Edwards
09. Money (That’s What I Want) – Barrett Strong
10. The Feeling In My Nuts – Marc Streitenfeld
Also featured in “Killing Them Softly”
“Windmills Of Your Mind” – Petula Clark