It was a pretty middling weekend, with one sleeper hit standing out. The Jennifer Lawrence suspense thriller The House at the End of the Street was No.1 this weekend, although people were expecting a better result due to her huge box office sucess in The Hunger Games.
Clint Eastwood’s Trouble with the Curve came in third (maybe he needed an empty chair next to him), however, this week’s clear winner was End of Watch.
Written and directed by Training Day screenwriter David Ayer, who also wrote and directed Harsh Times and Street Kings, Watch’s second place showing is very good, considering the film’s very modest $7 million production budget.
The big flop this week was the $50 million Dredd 3D, which only pulled in just over $6 million. The film couldn’t even beat last week’s No.1 film Resident Evil: Retribution, which dropped some 68% from last week. Ouch! That’s gotta hurt.
1) House at the End of The Street Rela. $13,000,000
2) End of Watch ORF $13,000,000
3) Trouble with the Curve WB $12,720,000
4) Finding Nemo (3D) BV $9,446,000 Total: $29,979,000
5) Resident Evil: Retribution SGem $6,700,000 Total $33,468,000
6) Dredd LGF $6,300,000
7) The Master Wein. $5,000,000 Total:$6,059,000
8) The Possession LGF $2,630,000 Total: $45,650,000
9) Lawless Wein. $2,321,000 Total:$34,512,000
10) ParaNorman Focus $2,297,000 Total:$52,566,000
11) The Bourne Legacy Uni. $1,650,000 Total:$110,400,000
12) The Odd Life of Timothy Green BV $1,531,000 Total$48,643,000