Not surprisingly, the Sony animated film Hotel Transylvania did extremely well this weekend. But then again, almost all animated films, especially those voiced by big name stars, tend to do well at the box office. Parents need something to take their kids to, no matter how mediocre.
Meanwhile, the sci/fi action film Looper did solid business; and the police drama End of Watch, which actually wound up being the No.1 film last weekend, when all the numbers came in, held up very strong in its second weekend.
By the way, Looper, which is partially set in Shanghai, opened to the No.1 position this weekend in China, making some $25 million this weekend. It's all about the global market folks.
And Paul Thomas Anderson's The Master is also doing well, making over $9.6 million so far, in about 850 theaters.
However, Won't Back Down was a total bust, not even earning $3 million in just over 2500 theaters. Evidently, there was something about it that drove people away.
And Dredd is dead in the water.
1) Hotel Transylvania Sony $43,000,000
2) Looper TriS $21,200,000
3) End of Watch ORF $8,000,000 Total: $26,169,000
4) Trouble with the Curve WB $7,530,000 Total: $23,726,000
5) House at the End of The Street Rela. $7,154,000 Total: $22,225,000
6) Pitch Perfect Uni. $5,200,000
7) Finding Nemo (3D) BV $4,066,000 Total: $36,475,000
8) Resident Evil: Retribution SGem $3,000,000 Total: $38,700,000
9) The Master Wein. $2,745,000 Total: $9,633,000
10) Won't Back Down Fox $2,700,000
11) Dredd LGF $2,280,000 Total: $10,865,000
12) The Possession LGF $1,441,000 Total: $47,490,000