San Francisco-based critic David Thomson, the brainy Brit behind the must-own Biographical Dictionary of Film, has now written a spanking new film history, “The Big Screen: The Story of the Movies.” We ran an excerpt on his chapter on Steven Spielberg here.
The rules are simple. Answer as many of the questions below as you can. The first three people to send in the complete list of 30 correct guesses to email@example.com before 11:59 p.m. on Sunday, November 17, 2012, will receive a signed copy of David Thomson’s “The Big Screen: The Story of the Movies.” If no one guesses all 50, then the three entries with the most correct answers will be declared the winners. Do NOT hazard guesses in the comments thread. Some of the questions are easier than others. Enjoy.
2012 DAVID THOMSON’S IMPOSSIBLY HARD QUIZ
Answer these questions and name the films referred to:
1. Who was responsible for Pyewacket, Florio, Flike, the Lydia and 5135 Kensington?
2. What was the decision in cases involving Tom Robinson, Dr Towler, Madeleine Smith, Tom Garrett, Dominique Marceau?
3. Who is raised up or shot down by the 3, the jack of diamonds, the queen of diamonds, and 23?
4. Who or what did the following see across the way: Paul Sheridan, Tom Doyle, Lou, Terry Lambert, Edouard Lestingois?
5. What do these characters have in common: Paul Mallen, Nedda Longden, Jenny Maple? And which makes you think of Brideshead Revisited?
6. Who said, “One moment and I’ll give you a kiss.”; “Do you realize I haven’t kissed you in over an hour?”; and “Drawing room E, car thirty-nine-oh-one.”?
7. Who was Joey, John Henry and Lonnie?
8. Who played Stella, Moe and Birdie?
9. They were born in Cadiz, Ohio and west Bengal – what was their movie together?
10. What do these have in common: Anna, Camille Javal, Jim and Junior?
11. Who played Elvira Puccini, Mary Queen of Scots and Henrietta Browning?
12. Who played Napoleon, Kristo and Ben Yussuf?
13. Who filmed the Galveston flood, a retreat from Moscow and the essential song?
14. Name three left-handed actresses.
15. Name three films where people have fun in small boats, and three where the experience turns tragic.
16. What happened to Loretta, Red Lightning and Brewster?
17. Name films in which these rivers participate: the Ouse, the Blackfoot, the Ganges, the Tennessee, the Seine.
18. Who said: “I played the Advocate.”, “Nobody forgets Nixon, and it wasn’t so long ago.”, “Free of income tax, old man”, “Has anyone ever told you that you overplay your roles rather severely?”?
19. Who were patients to these doctors: Dr Jaquith, Dr Kelekian, Alex Linden, Dr Larsen, Dr Alex Brooks, Dr Lewicki
20. He played Cardinal Danaher, a munitions expert who stammered, a senior fire operative and Bob Assingham
21. Who stayed at the Hotel de la Gloria?
22. What did these women have in common: Gabrielle Gerard, Jo Stockton, Maria Acuna, Penny Carroll, Dale Tremont?
23. In what film does the business of Thomas Crapper appear?
24. Could it have been Mary Pickford and Montgomery Clift?
25. Who set sail on the Santa Maria and bumped into the horizon?
26. William Katt, Laurence Olivier and Mandy Patinkin – what do they share?
27. Who taught Aeschylus’s Agamemnon, the talking treatment, psychology and the Song of Songs, how to fold a napkin, and mathematics at Princeton?
28. What film did Mary Sinclair do so much to fund and produce?
29. Name film titles composed of three adverbs, two and one.
30. Who was Nabby, Maren Hontvedt and Nicole and will soon be herself?