Eight documentary short films have been selected for the 2013 Oscars shortlist, of which three to five will earn nominations. Full list below.
The doc subjects range from a portrait of an anti-Islamic preacher ("The Education of Mohammed Hussein") to a Florida retirement community ("Kings Point"); from a Long Island hair salon that sets aside one day a month to serve women with cancer ("Mondays at Racine") to Rwandan children in need of heart transplants ("Open Heart").
Filmmakers with past Oscar nominations or wins make up a good percentage of this year's shortlist, including "Detropia" filmmakers Heidi Ewing and Rachel Grady (nominated for "Jesus Camp"), Sean Fine (for "War/Dance") and Sari Gilman (for "Ghosts of Abu Ghraib"). Cynthia Wade won the Oscar in 2007 for "Freeheld."
- "The Education of Mohammad Hussein," (dirs. Heidi Ewing, Rachel Grady; produced by Loki Films; USA)
- "Inocente," (dirs. Sean Fine, Andrea Nix; produced by Shine Global, Inc.; USA)
- "Kings Point," (dir. Sari Gilman; produced by Kings Point Documentary, Inc.; USA)
- "Mondays at Racine," (dir. Cynthia Wade; produced by Cynthia Wade Productions; USA)
- "Open Heart," (dir. Kief Davidson; produced by Urban Landscapes Inc.; USA)
- "ParaÍso," (dir. Nadav Kurtz; produced by The Strangebird Company; USA)
- "The Perfect Fit," (dir. Tali Yankelevich; produced by SDI Productions Ltd.; USA)
- "Redemption," (dirs. Jon Alpert, Matthew O'Neill; produced by Downtown Docs; USA)