Variety has announced its annual pre-Sundance 10 Directors to Watch list. The indie world is already familiar with Texas jack-of-all-trades David Lowery, whose Casey Affleck-Rooney Mara starrer “Ain’t Them Bodies Saints” will debut in competition at Sundance in January, while “Pit Stop,” which he co-wrote, is in the NEXT section; Rebecca Thomas, whose Mormon drama “Elecktrick Children” was an official selection at Berlin 2012; and the director of Sundance 2013 entry “Kill Your Darlings,” John Krokidas.
On the foreign side comes Australian Wayne Blair, director of the entertaining Cannes selection “The Sapphires,” backed by the Weinstein Co.; David Ondricek, whose gorgeous noir “In the Shadow” is the Czech Republic’s Oscar entry; and Joachim Ronning and Espen Sandberg, the directing duo behind Norway’s enjoyable high-seas adventure Oscar submission “Kon-Tiki” (our review is here).
- Haifaa Al-Mansour (“Wajda”)
- Wayne Blair (“The Sapphires”)
- John Krokidas (“Kill Your Darlings”)
- Tobias Lindholm (“A Highjacking”)
- David Lowery (“Ain’t Them Bodies Saints”)
- Andres Muschietti (“Mama”)
- David Ondricek (“In the Shadow”)
- Rebecca Thomas (“Elecktrick Children”)
- Jon Lucas & Scott Moore (“21 and Over”)
- Joachim Ronning & Espen Sandberg (“Kon-Tiki”)