As expected, Zero Dark Thirty was the number one film this weekend. But what no one excepted was the surprisingly strong showing of Marlon Wayans' comedy A Hanuted House.
House came in second this weekend, beating Gangster Squad, which came in third. The heavy promotion and coast to coast advance promo screenings for the film last month, with personal appearences by Wayans, evidently helped build buzz about the film; and obviously a lot of people were in the mood for a comedy.
Django Unchained came in fourth with $125.4 million to date, domestically, heading towards overseas openings next weekend.
Meanwhile, not even the presence of Trey Songz could help, and presumedly bad word of mouth hurt Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3D, which dropped a whopping 76% from its number one position last weekend:
1) Zero Dark Thirty Sony $24,000,000 Total: $29,481,000
2) A Haunted House ORF $18,170,000
3) Gangster Squad WB $16,710,000
4) Django Unchained Wein. $11,065,000 Total: $125,399,000
5) Les Miserables Uni. $10,127,000 Total: $119,206,000
6) The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey WB $9,080,000 Total: $278,124,000
7) Lincoln BV $6,314,000 Total: $152,579,000
8) Parental Guidance Fox $6,100,000 Total: $60,650,000
9) Texas Chainsaw 3D LGF $5,150,000 Total: $30,752,000
10) Silver Linings Playbook Wein. $5,000,000 Total: $41,306,000