Though Pain and Gain
was the No 1, it’s not the most important box office news this weekend.
What is, is that
Iron Man 3, which doesn’t open here in the States until this Friday, has
already made $195.3
million in Europe and Asia, proving again that
the foreign markets are what really matter when it comes to box office numbers.
And that’s something I’ve always believed that black
filmmakers should always keep in mind. I’ve always rejected this idea that “black films don’t travel” which is a crock of you-know-what.
Now I’m not saying that black films (or most films
for that matter) will make as much as
Iron Man 3. Of course not. But there are people everywhere around the world who would love to
see black films. They love black culture (music, art, dance, fashion, etc.) but reject black cinema? Get outta here with
And, to use an example I’ve said before, I fail to
understand why even Tyler Perry hasn’t made an aggressive effort to distribute
his films overseas. Not even in South America where I think they would find an audience.
He finances his own films, and if Lionsgate won’t do it, why
not do it himself?
But that’s enough of that. As I said at the beginning, Pain and Gain was No. 1 with $20 million, and Oblivion, as expected, due to lackluster word of mouth, took a big dive, but still came in
second with over $17 million.
Meanwhile, 42 was
third with “great legs” as they say
in the box office world, and now looks like it’s heading for $90-100 million.
This weekend’s B.O. list:
1) Pain and Gain Par. $20,000,000
2) Oblivion Uni. $17,443,000 Total: $64,731,000
3) 42 WB $10,725,000 Total: $69,079,000
4) The Big Wedding LGF $7,500,000
5) The Croods Fox $6,600,000 Total: $163,025,000
6) G.I. Joe: Retaliation Par. $3,620,000
7) Scary Movie 5 W/Dim. $3,457,000 Total: $27,494,000
8) Olympus Has Fallen FD $2,768,000 Total: $93,076,000
9) The Place Beyond the Pines Focus $2,699,000 Total: $16,205,000
10) Jurassic Park 3D Uni. $2,310,000 Total: $133,140,000
11) Mud RAtt. $2,186,000
12) Evil Dead TriS $2,000,000 Total: $51,868,000