For a second consecutive year, broadcast of the BET Awards show, which aired last night, June 30, was a hit for the network, drawing 7.6 million total viewers and, according to a BET press release, accounted for 51% of all social chatter across all of cable, dominating Twitter with nearly ten million tweets.
It was also the #2 BET telecast of all time, only behind the BET Awards show in 2009, which included a Michael Jackson tribute, and helped the network’s website, BET.com, break an all-time single day record, drawing in more visitors than ever before in the history of the website. Daily unique visitors were up 39% from last year’s show, while page views increased by 43% and video views were up 142% from last year’s day of show.
BET Mobile also broke records, generating more page views and engagement than any other year in the network’s history. Mobile page views on the day of show were up 65% from last year, with app users performing 187,000 social actions on the day of show, an eight-fold increase over 2012.
Additional highlights from the press release include:
- The BET Awards 13 ranked #1 on both SocialGuide and Trendrr.TV’s charts measuring social media engagement for television
- The BET Awards 13 had a 76% increase in trending topics on Twitter over 2012
- From a social standpoint, the BET Awards 13 outperformed major 2013 tent-pole events including the 70th Annual Golden Globe Awards and the Academy of Country Music Awards
- More than 100,000 posts on Instagram were tagged using the official hashtag #BETAwards
- The pre and post shows combined generated nearly half a million social interactions. Both telecasts placed in the top 10 of most social television shows on June 30, 2013
Stephen G. Hill, BET’s President of Music Programming and Specials, Lynne Harris Taylor, BET’s Vice President of Specials, served as Executive Producers for the BET Awards 13, along with Jesse Collins, CEO of Jesse Collins Entertainment.
For a list of winners from the BET Awards 13, visit www.bet.com/betawards.
The BET Awards 13 will premiere Tuesday, July 2nd at 8 pm BST on BET’s international network in the UK and continental Africa, reaching more than 13 million households in 50+ countries.
And for those in the USA, if you missed last night’s broadcast, here are encore times for the BET Awards 13:
BET Encore #1:
Tuesday, July 2, 6:30 pm – 10 pm
BET Awards Encore #2:
Saturday, July 6, 8 pm – 11:30 pm
BET Awards Encore #3:
Thursday, July 11, 7:30 pm – 11 pm
*All times ET/PT