1. Oscar Nominated Docs Online: 2014 Oscar nominations were announced this
morning. “The Act of Killing,” “Cutie and the Boxer,” “Dirty Wars,”
“The Square” and “20 Feet from Stardom” were all nominated for Best
Documentary Feature. Here’s where you can stream them online.
2. Vimeo News: Vimeo has launched a $500K program
to support crowdfunded films, the digital platform announced at Sundance today. Vimeo will grant free one-year
PRO accounts and access to a $500,000 Audience Development Fund to help
select filmmakers market their projects. Films selected by Vimeo’s curation team
will receive PRO accounts and an advance for marketing support. Read more about the deal here.
3. Sundance Chatter: Want to know what folks are talking about at Sundance? Lucky for you that for the first-time in its history, the Sundance Film Festival has partnered with Twitter and Wayin to create the #Sundance
Spark data visualization, which measures and displays social chatter
during the Festival. Check it out here.
4. FullScreen: Video app maker Supernova, which was previously called Viddy, was acquired today by YouTube network Fullscreen, whose backers include Comcast and
Chernin Group. Read more at Variety.
5. BitTorrent Report: “The Act of Killing” BitTorrent Bundle has been downloaded by 2.3 million people, BitTorrent announced in a review of 2013 on its blog. In addition, BitTorrent helped the film “find more than 45 thousand impressions in Indonesia, where the film doesn’t have a distributor.” Read the full BitTorrent report here.