Seated in front of the game Sunday night are two camps: those who watch for the spectacle of the sport itself, and those who watch the Super Bowl simply for the shiny passel of big-budget ads and TV spots. These are usually the same folks confused about which team is which.
But cinephiles have something to look forward to. During Sunday’s Superbowl XLVIII on FOX, major studios will be unveiling new trailers and exclusive first-looks at some of 2014’s biggest movies. Celebrity appearances also abound in the evening’s commercials, including a Ford spot starring James Franco, which will air between the coin toss and kick off. Teaser for that ad, clips and a heads-up for must-watch spots below.
1. DreamWorks will air a new first-look at “Need for Speed,” starring “Breaking Bad”‘s Aaron Paul, a hark-back to the car chase thrillers of the ’60s and ’70s adapted from the bestselling video game franchise. After the big game, fans can watch an extended version of the clip on YouTube. The film opens March 14.
2. “Noah,” Darren Aronofsky’s splashy biblical epic starring Russell Crowe, is among the deluge of major spring releases getting a TV spot during the Superbowl. If you won’t be watching the game, you can check out the spot ahead-of-time here. Apostles of Aronofsky, who officially locked the film following a drawn-out tussle with Paramount, will appreciate the gritty mix of fantasy and realism on display. It opens March 28 in theaters and IMAX.
3. Will James Franco do anything to make a buck? The actor/director/writer/what-have-you will star in Ford Motor Company’s Super Bowl ad this coming Sunday. The 90-second ad, which will air between the coin toss and kick off, also features actor Rob Riggle and will showcase the Ford Fusion Hybrid. Watch a preview below.
4. Sony will air a new promo for their “RoboCop” reboot, starring dreamy svelte hunk Joel Kinnaman of AMC’s “The Killing.” The studio will be looking at a busy month with tentpole “Pompeii,” which looks to be disastrous in all sense of the word, and “The Monuments Men,” already losing steam with poor reviews and failure to meet the Oscar deadline. But “RoboCop,” out February 12, could be their best Spring hopeful.
5. Kevin Costner’s on the rise this year, with the success of the “Jack Ryan” revamp and Summit Entertainment’s upcoming football comedy “Draft Day.“ In theaters April 11, the NFL-based film, natch, has a spot airing during the game, which you can watch now (below). Could this be sleeper hit vehicle Costner needs? People forget how good he was in “Swing Vote” and “The Upside of Anger” a few years back.
6. Sony will debut a new preview of “The Amazing Spider-Man 2,“ starring another dreamy svelte hunk by the name of Andrew Garfield, on Sunday. Emma Stone, Jamie Foxx, Dane DeHaan and Paul Giamatti round out the fab cast. It hits theaters May 2.
7. From Universal and opening May 9, “Neighbors” stars the unlikely mash-up of Seth Rogen and Zac Efron, and we’re certainly intrigued by the pairing. Look out for a new trailer on Sunday for this R-rated comedy from “Five-Year Engagement” director Nicholas Stoller.