Ladies, start your engines. Your first comedy of the year, “The Other Woman”, looks primed to take the top spot at the box office this weekend. Tracking on the Cameron Diaz, Leslie Mann, Kate Upton film continues to improve as the week progresses so an opening three day gross of $20+ million isn’t out of the question. Here’s how I see the weekend playing out…
1. THE OTHER WOMAN–FOX–$20 MILLION
Watch for every Dine-In theatre in the U.S. to be packed to the rafters this weekend. I hope AMC has enough Belinis on hand.
2. HEAVEN IS FOR REAL–SONY–$15.7 MILLION (DOWN 30%)
“God’s Not Dead” proved that our previous understanding of how faith based films hold up on their second weekend is horribly outdated.
3. CAPTAIN AMERICA: WINTER SOLDIER–BV–$15.3 MILLION (DOWN 40%)
Not to belittle “Brick Mansions” and “The Quiet Ones”, well yes let’s, but the good Captain A faces little challenge to holding its’ audience this week.
4. RIO 2–FOX–$13.8 MILLION (DOWN 37%)
A head shaking drop of 43% last weekend, which is totally against form for animated titles.
5. BRICK MANSIONS–RELATIVITY– $9.0 MILLION
I just can’t see this finding much of an audience, even with the presence of the late Paul Walker
6. TRANSCENDENCE–WB– $6.0 MILLION (DOWN 61%)
Ladies and gentlemen, keep your hands and feet away from “Transcendence” as it careens toward the bottom of the top ten
7. THE QUIET ONES–LG–$6.0 MILLION
The Quiet Grosses, more like it.
8. DIVERGENT–LG–$6.0 MILLION (-29%)
Just keeps hanging in there
9. GOD’S NOT DEAD–FREESTYLE–$3.6 MILLION (DOWN 21%)
…and neither is this movie
10. A HAUNTED HOUSE 2–$3.4 MILLION (DOWN 61%)
These types of comedies usually sink fast. Look out below.