There’s a chance this just might be televised – or, at least taped, and made available to the public at a later date.
When I know more on that, I’ll update this post.
In the meantime, the necessary details follow… (by the way, most will probably know actor Norm Lewis from his brief days on Scandal, as Olivia Pope’s ex. He also very recently became the first black actor to play the Phantom on Broadway, in Andrew Lloyd Webber‘s musical The Phantom of the Opera. He also co-starred with Audra McDonald playing Porgy in the Tony Award-winning Broadway revival of Porgy & Bess)…
Presented by Norm Lewis, Chapman Roberts, and David H. Greer at Carnegie Hall.
Performance Monday, June 23, 2014 | 8PMThe Black Stars of The Great White Way
This all-male tribute honors jazz musicians Eubie Blake, Fats Waller, Louis Armstrong, Cab Calloway, Louis Jordan, Duke Ellington, and Paul Robeson. The concert celebrates the artists’ successes at Carnegie Hall, Broadway, television, and the international touring circuit, as well as in the recording and film industries. Broadway song and dance numbers from Motown,The Lion King, Dreamgirls, Five Guys Named Moe, Ain’t Misbehavin’, and Porgy and Bess make up this black tie gala event.
- Chapman Roberts, Norm Lewis, Andre DeShields, Larry Marshall, Kevin Ramsey, Glenn Turner, Doug Eskew, Milton Craig Neeley, Jeffrey Anderson-Gunter, Ben Harney, Cleavant Derricks, Adrian Bailey, Marcus Naylor, Leotis Clyburn, Branden Cook, Brandon Bain, Avon Long, David Helper, Raun Ruffin, Jason Cook, Lee Summers, Stanley Hopkins, Claude Jay, Forest Ray, Keith David, Rob “Ike” Barnes, Bobby Harden, Obba Babatunde, Kirk Taylor, Wilkie Ferguson, Lacy Darryl Phillips, Clent Bowers, Avon Marshall, Scott J. Foster, Brandon Victor Dixon, Kenneth Kamal Scott, Raymond Patterson, D’Ambrose Boyd, Ken Ard, Thom Scott, C.E. Smith, Johnathan Lee Iverson, Torrence Bristow, Jayson Kolbicz, Clifton Davis, Ben Vereen, and Anthony Wayne, Vocalists
- Derek Grant, Bakaari Wilder, Jason Samuel Smith, Joseph Web, Dule Hill, Vincent Bingham, Omar Edwards, and Alde Lewis, Dancers
- Broadway Brown, Vocal Ensemble
- Frank Owens, David Alan Bunn, William Foster McDaniel, Kenny Seymour, Julius Williams, and Abdul Hamid Royal, Pianists and Conductors
Sipho Kunene and Buddy Williams, Drums
Clyde Bullard, Bass
Keith Robinson and Van Gibbs, Guitar
- Honorees: Geoffrey Holder, Louis Johnson, Stephen Byrd, Harold Wheeler, Noble Sissle, Larry Hamlin, Berry Gordy, Luther Henderson, Donald McKayle, and Robert Guillaume
Presenters: Blair Underwood and others to be announced
Tickets from $35 – $200