All hail “Amazing Spider-Man 2”. The latest Spidey installment will own the box office this weekend and “The Other Woman” is a certain lock on the #2 slot. But as was the case last week the battle will be for the # 3,4 & 5 positions. Let’s lock “Captain America: Winter Soldier”, “Heaven Is For Real” and “Rio 2” in a steel cage and see who emerges victorious. Check back here for Saturday and Sunday morning estimates.
PROJECTED BOX OFFICE TOP 10
1. AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 $93.0M I’ve come down on my initial $102M estimate but still, that’s not chump change.
2. THE OTHER WOMAN $14.5M DOWN 41% A drop of 41% is expected, unless women try to get away from NBA and NHL playoffs and the Derby.
3. HEAVEN IS FOR REAL $9.5M DOWN 31% I’m not saying that ASM2 fans are all heathens but this is the film that looks to be the least impacted by Spidey.
4. CAPTAIN AMERICA: WINTER SOLDIER $8.3M DOWN 47% You don’t have to be in the industry for 29 years to have a hunch that one superhero movie opening will impact the other.
RIO 2 $8.3M DOWN 39% Kentucky won’t be the only place that could call for a photo finish this weekend.
6. BRICK MANSIONS $3.6M DOWN 62% These types of films usually fall like a, uhhh, brick on their second week.
7. BEARS $2.6 DOWN 26% There’s always room for cute and cuddly in the top ten.
8. DIVERGENT $2.3M DOWN 35% This film has an audience of its own and it just keeps hanging there, largely due to repeat business.
9. TRANSCENDENCE $1.6M DOWN 60% The less said about this film the better, I think
10. THE QUIET ONES $1.4M DOWN 65% See above quote for “Brick Mansions”