Snubbing its robotic noses at the World Cup, “Transformers: Age Of Extinction”, thanks to a record setting Imax take, opened to $291 million internationally this past weekend. Optimus Prime and the gang, even without territories such as the U.K., Netherlands, Latin America and Japan, destroyed international box office this weekend thanks in no small part to the $16.6 million that Imax accounted for, which by the way was an all-time record for the company.
Elsewhere, family films “How To Train Your Dragon 2” and “Maleficent” held in well and the Ireland/U.K. opening of the film version of the popular telly show, “Mrs. Brown’s Boys” opened to a tidy $7.8 million. U.K. audiences obviously had loads of time on their hands since Steven Gerrard & Crew quietly excused itself from World Cup competition earlier this past week.
TOP 10 INTERNATIONAL ESTIMATED WEEKEND GROSSES
1) TRANSFORMERS: AGE OF EXTINCTION—$201.3 MILLION
2) HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON 2—$17.9 MILLION—$107 MILLION CUME
3) MALEFICENT—$16.0 MILLION—$383 MILLION CUME
4) THE FAULT IN OUR STARS—$13.1 MILLION—$85 MILLION CUME
5) 22 JUMP STREET—$9.6 MILLION—$54 MILLION CUME
6) MRS. BROWN’S BOYS, D’MOVIE—$7.8 MILLION
7) EDGE OF TOMORROW—$6.9 MILLION—$234 MILLION CUME
8) BLENDED—$6.4 MILLION—$31 MILLION CUME
9) X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST—$6.2 MILLION—$491 MILLION CUME
10) TRANSCENDENCE—$5.9 MILLION—$67 MILLION CUME