In the penultimate week prior to the start of the World Cup, Disney’s “Maleficent” edged out Fox’s “X-Men: Days Of Future Past” to top the overseas box office. The Angelina Jolie film took in a nice round number of $100 million while the X-Men gang was a close second at $95 million, bringing its overall take to a rock solid $340 million. “Maleficent” hit the century mark even without China, which does not open the film until June 20th, smack in the middle of the World Cup, but the tournament tends to have less of an effect on box office in that country as opposed to most other international territories.
A few eyebrows have been raised at the “Edge of Tomorrow” take of $20 million from its initial 28 markets. The Imax runs fared well, although well behind the international “Maleficent” Imax numbers ($28,000 per screen vs $20,000 per screen), but overall the opening was just so-so, especially for a Tom Cruise vehicle, which are almost sure bets overseas.
ESTIMATED INTERNATIONAL TOP 10
1) MALEFICENT—$100 MILLION
2) X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST—$95 MILLION—$338 million cume
3) EDGE OF TOMORROW—$20 MILLION (28 Markets)
4) A MILLION WAYS TO DIE IN THE WEST—$10 MILLION (21 Markets)
5) NEIGHBORS—$7.5 MILLION—$80 million cume
6) FROZEN—$6 MILLION—$833 million cume
7) AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2—$4 MILLION—$497 million cume
8) RIO 2—$3 MILLION—$335 million cume