Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum’s bromance continues as “22 Jump Street” soars to the top of the box office chart this weekend. The action comedy lured moviegoers to the multiplexes to the tune of $60 million for the three day stanza. Audiences (present company excluded) seemed to enjoy the sequel as the film nailed an A- Cinemascore and held off the NHL, Italy, England, Costa Rica and the rest of the World Cup gang this weekend.
In second place, Dreamworks’ “How To Train Your Dragon 2” opened to a tidy $18.5 million Friday but suffered a small decline on Saturday and will land at an estimated $50 million. It will be interesting to see the company’s comments on the domestic opening, although international box office will ultimately be the determining factor of whether it ends up in the black or the red but that will be tougher sledding than normal with the World Cup going on overseas.
“Maleficent” held in a bit better than expected as HTTYD2 didn’t take as much of the film’s audiences as predicted. Angelina & Co. will finish third with around $19 million for third place. Tom’s “Tomorrow” sneaks into the #4 slot with a respectable 43% drop and Fox’s “Fault In Our Stars”, last week’s #1, slumped badly but will still net around $15.7 million for the weekend and should now settle in for a nice run as it heads towards the bottom five, as most YA films do.
Here’s how it all looks…
ESTIMATED WEEKEND BOX OFFICE TOP 10
1) 22 JUMP STREET—SONY—$60 MILLION
2) HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON 2—DREAMWORKS/FOX—$50 MILLION
3) MALEFICENT—DISNEY—$19.0 MILLION—44% DROP—$163 MILLION CUME
4) EDGE OF TOMORROW—WARNER BROTHERS—$16.1 MILLION—43% DROP—$56 MILLION CUME
5) THE FAULT IN OUR STARS—FOX—$15.7 MILLION—67% DROP—$81 MILLION CUME
6) X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST—FOX—$9.5 MILLION—37% DROP—$205 MILLION
7) GODZILLA—WARNER BROTHERS—$3.1 MILLION—48% DROP—$191 MILLION
8) A MILLION WAYS TO DIE IN THE WEST—UNIVERSAL—$3.0 MILLION—58% DROP—$38 MILLION CUME
9) NEIGHBORS—UNIVERSAL—$2.5 MILLION—53% DROP—$143 MILLION CUME
10) CHEF—OPEN ROAD—$2.2 MILLION—$14 MILLION CUME