We finally have a winner as “Transformers: Age Of Extinction” sails past “Captain America: Winter Soldier” to become the highest opening of 2014. Its take of $41.6 million for last night and Thursday previews should translate to a gross slightly over that elusive $100 million mark. Right now I have it on pace for a $102 weekend with a Saturday-to-Friday drop in the 20’s, however if this pulls in more of a matinee audience then expected the final total could go as high as $105-107 million. We’ll have to wait and see if Mother Nature helps out but right now the Midwest is looking at storms all day and then the same for the Mid-Atlantic tomorrow which could send family audiences fleeing washed out barbecues and miniature golf outings and into the local multiplex. The film’s A- Cinemascore will help with word-of-mouth as well.
While “22 Jump Street” continued its solid hold, falling off the 44% drop I had predicted yesterday, “How To Train Your Dragon 2” and “Think Like A Man Too” declined higher than expected with “Dragon” on pace for a mid 40% fall (to roughly $13.5 million) and TLAMT suffering a painful 60% drop to around $11 mil.
WEEKEND TOP 10 ESTIMATES (STUDIO WEEKEND ESTIMATES TOMORROW)
1. TRANSFORMERS: AGE OF EXTINCTION—PARAMOUNT—$102 MILLION
2. 22 JUMP STREET—SONY—$15.3—44% DROP
3. HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON 2—FOX/DREAMWORKS—$13.5 MILLION—43% DROP
4. THINK LIKE A MAN TOO—SONY/SCREEN GEMS—$11.0 MILLION—60% DROP
5. MALEFICENT—BUENA VISTA—$8.2 MILLION—37% DROP
6. JERSEY BOYS—WARNER BROTHERS—$7.5 MILLION—44% DROP
7. EDGE OF TOMORROW—WARNER BROTHERS—$5.0 MILLION—48% DROP
8. THE FAULT IN OUR STARS—$5.0 MILLION—39% DROP
9. X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST—$3.2 MILLION—46% DROP
10. CHEF—OPEN ROAD—$1.6 MILLION—7% DROP