The Museum of Modern Art, New York, and the Hammer Museum in LA have announced their bicoastal collaboration on The Contenders, MoMA’s annual end-of-the-year series that surveys the year’s best films, awards hopefuls and cult classics in the making. Many are accompanied by Q&As with talent.
Opening the series at MoMA on November 13 (following its November 6 AFI Fest world premiere) is the NY premiere of J. C. Chandor’s urban crime drama “A Most Violent Year,” starring Oscar Isaac and Jessica Chastain. Opening the series at the Hammer Museum on December 8 is summer hit “Snowpiercer,” directed by Bong Joon- ho and starring Chris Evans, Tilda Swinton (who we interview here) and Ed Harris. Both Chandor and Bong will be on hand to discuss their films.
- Boyhood (2014); with appearances by director Richard Linklater and actor Ethan Hawke
- Foxcatcher (2014); with appearance by director Bennett Miller
- Ida (2014); with appearance by director Pawel Pawlikowski
- The Imitation Game (2014); with appearances by screenwriter Graham Moore and actors Matthew Goode and Alan Leech
- Obvious Child (2014); with appearance by director Gillian Robespierre
- Queen and Country (2014); with appearance by director John Boorman
- Snowpiercer (2014); with appearance by actress Tilda Swinton
Over 20 additional screenings to be added
Highlights of The Contenders at Hammer Museum (December 8, 2014—January 13, 2015):