Indiegogo and Vimeo announced this weekend from the Sundance Film Festival, that they’ve partnered up in a agreement that will see Vimeo as a preferred distribution platform for films funded on Indiegogo, and Vimeo committing to an ongoing creator fund for select Indiegogo funded film campaigns, in exchange for exclusive distribution on Vimeo On Demand.
Specifically, Indiegogo film campaigns that who choose to distribute their films on Vimeo On Demand will be able to tap into benefits not offered by any other crowdfunding platform:
- Matching funds: Vimeo’s new Creator Fund will commit up to a million dollars in matching funds for select Indiegogo funded film campaigns in 2015.
- Vimeo marketing dollars: Vimeo will contribute digital marketing spend and social promotion for campaigns in the matching funds program and other selected Indiegogo funded film campaigns.
- Free unlimited fulfillment: Participating campaigns will have access to free fulfillment on all digital download perks via Vimeo VOD.
- Discounted Vimeo PRO: Indiegogo film campaigners will be eligible for a substantial discount on Vimeo PRO membership.
- Featured collection on Vimeo: An “Indiegogo Funded Films” collection will be featured on Vimeo, which reaches over 170 million global users a month.
Additionally, Indiegogo will be joining Vimeo’s newly formed Vimeo On Demand Publisher Network, with a dedicated VOD storefront on Indiegogo’s site featuring titles funded by Indiegogo campaigns available for purchase. Vimeo will also create a dedicated Indiegogo VOD home on Vimeo featuring a rotating selection of Indiegogo campaign funded films curated by Vimeo.
“Indiegogo is leading the way for next generation filmmaking,” said Slava Rubin, CEO of Indiegogo. “Mirroring the diversity of our open platform, we are proud to support an incredibly robust community of filmmakers across multiple genres. With the addition of Vimeo as a distribution partner, it is now easier than ever for filmmakers using Indiegogo, to pursue their passions, receive funding, garner global exposure, and deliver their work directly to their fans.”
“Vimeo is all about giving power to the creators,” said Kerry Trainor, CEO, Vimeo. “This partnership highlights both Vimeo and Indiegogo’s continued support of independent filmmakers on a global level, and provides Indiegogo’s community of creators an opportunity to be exposed to an even wider audience via Vimeo’s transactional VOD platform.”
The first project to participate in the new partnership is Malcom Carter’s “The Connected Universe,” an eye-opening documentary on the interconnectivity of all things. The film – Indiegogo’s highest funded documentary in history – features the work of noted theorist Nassim Haramein, and promises to expose viewers to new research that could have a profound effect on how we think about the universe.