Fox today announced the finalists for its 4th annual Fox Writers Intensive (FWI), the company’s advanced writers’ platform designed to nurture writers from diverse backgrounds. FWI also aims to create a strong pipeline of well-rounded talent for potential staffing on Fox television, feature film and digital entertainment productions.
This year’s FWI finalists were selected from more than 400 nominations and submissions by talent representation and arts organizations across the country, including National Association of Latino Independent Producers, Sundance Institute, The Black List, Outfest, Film Independent, NAACP, Women in Film Los Angeles, Coalition of Asian Pacifics in Entertainment and Veterans in Film & TV.
The finalists will spend 14 weeks honing their crafts and establishing deeper connections with a wide range of Fox staff writers, showrunners, screenwriters, directors and creative executives.
This year’s FWI writers/teams, alternates and their respective representatives are:
· Aaron Carew (Independent)
· Jason Coffey (Kaplan Stahler Agency and Oasis Media Group)
· David Cornue (Original Artists and Madhouse Entertainment)
· Cindy Fang (Gersh and Echo Lake Entertainment)
· Chuck Hayward (APA and Heroes and Villains Entertainment)
· David McMillan (Creative Artists Agency and Grandview)
· Diana Mendez (Animo Entertainment)
· Jess Pineda (Kaplan Stahler Agency and Principato-Young Entertainment)
· Sarah Carbiener & Erica Rosbe (ICM Partners and Industry Entertainment)
· Rebecca Walker (United Talent Agency and 3 Arts Entertainment)
· JaNeika and JaSheika James (ICM Partners)
· Jared Romero (Think Tank Management)
“Authenticity is essential to successful storytelling. That process starts with hiring writers with diverse and authentic points of view, and that’s exactly who we want to engage through the Fox Writers Intensive,” said Nicole A. Bernard, Executive Vice President of Audience Strategy for 21st Century Fox. “This has been the goal of FWI from the beginning – it has proven true in the talented and formidable group of writers we’ve announced today, and we look forward to being a part of their continued success.”
Launched in 2011, the Fox Writers Intensive seeks both to elevate the craft of participating writers and further establish deeper connections with a wide range of Fox staff writers, showrunners, screenwriters, filmmakers and creative executives across television (both on-air and multi-platform), feature films and digital entertainment. Curated with Film Independent, a non-profit arts organization supporting artists who embody diversity, innovation and uniqueness of vision, the initiative offers trained writers a rigorous, four-month curriculum focused on 1) developing original material; 2) learning and honing writing skills for multiple mediums; and 3) exploring the business of media and entertainment.
Selected writers will have the opportunity to receive detailed feedback and guidance on their scripts through interactive “master classes” and will engage in intimate guest speaker sessions with experienced writers, showrunners, executives and directors to discuss case studies of their films and television shows, and learn about their writing processes. Upon successful completion of the program, finalists will receive priority staffing meetings for the established FWI Staff Writer position on Fox entertainment productions and Fox will endeavor to provide each writer with a first-look deal on his/her original script(s).
In addition, at the conclusion of the intensive:
· One FWI finalist will be named the 2015 FWI Fellow. The FWI Fellow will be awarded either a purchase and development deal on his/her original script or a “first-look” deal from Fox Broadcasting Company (FOX) or any of its affiliated entities.
· In addition, the FWI Fellow will participate in one-on-one creative meetings with Fox entertainment business heads, and senior cross-divisional current and development executives;, and will receive priority staffing efforts across Fox entertainment properties.
· All FWI finalists will receive staffing meetings for current FOX entertainment series and a first-look agreement to option their original and new scripts.
Fox Audience Strategy is a department within 21st Century Fox designed to identify programming and operational opportunities that reflect diverse perspectives across all of its entertainment platforms.
For more information about the Fox Writers Intensive and a full list of referring organizations, please visit: http://www.foxaudiencestrategy.com/fox-writers-intensive-meet-the-writers/.