David Lynch Confirms He’s Pulled Out Of Showtime’s ‘Twin Peaks’ Revival

David Lynch Confirms He's Pulled Out Of Showtime's 'Twin Peaks' Revival

Yet Another Update: Showtime weighs in with a statement.

We were saddened to read David Lynch’s statement today since we believed we were working towards solutions with David and his reps on the few remaining deal points. Showtime also loves the world of Twin Peaks and we continue to hold out hope that we can bring it back in all its glory with both of its extraordinary creators, David Lynch and Mark Frost, at its helm.

Update: David Lynch has confirmed the news himself, though he suggests Showtime could go on without him. And given all the contracts and negotiations over the last year, the cable network is probably within their legal rights to do so. Lynch only ever directed five episodes of the original “Twin Peaks” series that ran two seasons long and was canceled in the summer of 1991.

Original story: There’s no official word yet, but reports are coming out of WonderCon in Anaheim that the revival of David Lynch’sTwin Peaks” has been canceled. All we have to go on so far are some tweets (via Business Insider). Apparently the information is coming from three separate convention attendees, but where the original source is from or who said it is unknown at the moment, and the rumors seem to be spreading.

Lynch cast some doubts on the “Twin Peaks” return just a few weeks ago. “I haven’t returned yet. And we’re still working on the contract,” the director said in mid March. Haggling over DVD and streaming sales reportedly was part of the contract hold up.

READ MORE: Haggling Over DVD & Streaming Sales Reportedly Holding Up David Lynch’s ‘Twin Peaks’ Deal

The reports were quickly refuted by Showtime. Source told EW: “Nothing is going on that’s any more than any preproduction process with David Lynch. Everything is moving forward and everybody is crazy thrilled and excited.”

If “Twin Peaks” does make it through its contract problems. Kyle MacLachlan, Sherilyn Fenn and Sheryl Lee and more are expected to return. Initial Showtime reports had “Twin Peaks” schedule to debut on the cable channel in 2016 with Lynch directing every episode. While Lynch has made lots of video shorts or directed video documentaries (“Duran Duran: Unstaged” for one), a new “Twin Peaks” would be his first narrative effort since 2006’s “Inland Empire.” Let’s hope for the best.

Update: The Twin Peaks Festival Facebook page claims to have received first hand information from Lynch’s office that says he has left the project (seemingly because of budgetary reasons) and suggests “Twin Peaks” could still happen on Showtime without him. Though, what is “Twin Peaks” without David Lynch?

We just received the this message from David Lynch’s office:Dear Facebook Friends, David wanted me to pass along the…

Posted by Twin Peaks Festival on Sunday, April 5, 2015

This Article is related to: Television and tagged , ,


Comments

Amy

Good luck. Sherilyn Fenn has already said the cast will revolt without David involved in the show.

LA2000

If the original series actors’ agents (particularly Kyle Maclachlan’s) did their job properly, the contracts should have been written to be contingent upon Lynch’s participation. None of the original cast would have agreed to be involved in a continuation that did not have the full endorsement and participation of Lynch and they shouldn’t have preemptively signed on without such a guarantee. If the agents missed something so basic, I would be shocked. That would be tantamount to malpractice.

Showtime knows that "Twin Peaks" without Lynch wouldn’t fly. It would be perceived to be just a bunch of self indulgent,knock off weirdness gift wrapped in a cynical corporate branding strategy.

Cris

DL is just playing hardball. This is all part of negotiating.

BOB

Hopefully Lynch will make a feature now.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *