Back in 2014, Fox set up their upcoming slate, and for a while, March 4, 2016 was occupied by what was supposed to be the long talked about "Prometheus 2." But as things go, Ridley Scott shuffled around projects, wound up making the sci-fi "The Martian" instead which opens this fall, while that spring date for next year is now occupied by Tim Burton‘s "Miss Peregrine’s Home For Peculiar Children." However, if this latest chatter is to be believed, Scott hasn’t left "Prometheus 2" far behind.
In the latest issue of Total Film (print edition), it says amidst a profile of "The Martian," that Scott will shoot "Prometheus 2" in January 2016. “I’ve got back into the sci-fi thing, I kind of adore it,” he told the magazine.
We’ll see how this actually plays out, as it raises a lot of questions. What about Neill Blomkamp‘s "Alien" movie? Will Fox be developing two movies set in that universe, but seemingly independent of each other, at the same time? The studio also just dropped $6 million to snap up the rights to Don Winslow‘s drug thriller "The Cartel" with Scott attached to direct. Will they want to put that movie on the back burner?
Until there’s more news, don’t treat it as official yet. Last we heard, Jack Paglen ("Transcendence") was penning the script, while Noomi Rapace told us in 2013 she had already met with Scott to talk about the sequel. Many pieces are in play, but we’ll see where they lead in the months ahead. [via Scified]