After a lot of back and forth brouhaha with David Lynch and Showtime, “Twin Peaks” is back and currently shooting in Washington State. The new cast includes Jennifer Jason Leigh, Robert Knepper, Balthazar Getty and Amanda Seyfried with Lynch potentially eyeing his “Mulholland Drive” star Naomi Watts. Of the returning cast? Apparently only Kyle MacLachlan as FBI agent Dale Cooper is officially confirmed by Showtime, but original cast members like Sheryl Lee, David Patrick Kelly, and Richard Beymer have been spotted on set filming while Michael Ontkean decided not to reprise his beloved role of Sheriff Harry S. Truman with veteran actor Robert Forster (“Mulholland Drive”) filling in.
Deadline reports this afternoon that Miguel Ferrer is also set to return as FBI Agent Albert Rosenfield. Deeper details on the third season, set some thirty years after the original are unclear, but Lynch and co-creator Mark Frost have expressed their wishes to keep everything under wraps, so hopefully the surprise — paparazzi snaps aside — remain.
“Twin Peaks” was originally slated for a 2016 release. But after Lynch walked away from the negotiation table earlier this year, that delayed filming, which finally began this September after all the contracts were signed. And this summer, Mark Frost said the wait for the show could be a long one.
“The challenge for us is to try and come back and raise the bar above what we did the last time. We’re coming back with season 3 of ‘Twin Peaks’ after a 25-year absence,” Frost said. “We’ve finished the scripts, we start production in September, and that will be coming out on Showtime in 2017.”
Indeed, CBS Corporation President and CEO Les Moonves have re-confirmed the 2017 arrival during an earnings call on Tuesday. So yeah, you suspected as much, but now you know for sure that slice of pie and coffee isn’t coming anytime soon.