For the two years that she’s been with us, Inkoo Kang has been my rock: A fantastic writer and editor, a dedicated professional and a wonderful colleague. But on the good news and bad news front, she’ll be moving on to an amazing gig (which will be announced soon), so that means we need a new News Editor.
Here’s what I am looking for:
- A person with a passion for pop culture and women’s issues. (To do this job well, you must care deeply about movies and TV and feminism, as well as how women are portrayed in the media. If you have any issues with the word “feminism” or applying feminist analysis to pop culture, this is not the job for you.)
- A person who can write and edit quickly. As the News Editor, your main responsibilities are to write and edit blog posts based on daily story ideas in an accessible but intelligent way.
- A person with an excellent command of grammar, punctuation and consistent formatting.
- A person who can supervise another writer while working on her own writing/editing.
- A person who is comfortable working on their own, is a self-starter and has great Internet access.
- A person who can come up with regular story ideas and keeps up with news about women in media.
Other duties include editing and evaluating guest posts, columns and crossposts.
Bonuses: Basic photoshop skills, previous CMS experience, great headline-writing skills, familiarity with and interest in intersectional feminism.
*** This is not an entry-level position. You need to have at least 2 years of writing and editing experience, preferably online.
The pay is $15 per hour. The position is for 20-25 hours per week. (You do not need to live on the East Coast, but if you are West Coast-based, be prepared that you will need to start very early.)
To apply for the position, send a cover letter, resume and at least two writing samples (preferably on topic) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications are due by February 26th at 5pm. The position will begin in mid-March.