Whether on a first date, at a job interview, or just having a casual conversation, everyone has encountered the question, “What’s your favorite TV show?” Some people have an automatic answer, while others have to contemplate for a minute. Especially now, in the age of peak TV, it can be tough to dig through tons of great TV shows and choose an all-time favorite.
To help narrow down the choices and answer this question, Very Good TV Podcast has compiled a list of tips to take into account.
- Consider whether you’re answering subjectively or objectively.
- Be declarative.
- Don’t say, “Oh, there are just so many shows!”
- Don’t pretend you’ve never been asked before.
- Don’t be embarrassed by your choice — or qualify it.
For more advice, and to hear Ben and Liz break almost all of the aforementioned rules in defense of their favorites, listen to this week’s podcast above.
Don’t forget to subscribe via Soundcloud or iTunes, and follow IndieWire on Twitter and Facebook for all your pertinent TV news. Check out Liz and Ben’s Twitter feeds for more, more, more. Plus, don’t forget to listen to IndieWire’s other podcasts: Screen Talk with Eric Kohn and Anne Thompson, as well as IndieWire Influencers, hosted by Editor-in-Chief Dana Harris and featuring various guests relevant to anyone tracking independent film or the entertainment industry in general.
Related News and Articles:
- Emmy voting is happening as we speak and IndieWire has been pushing its favorites with the Consider This series. Check out interviews with the stars of “The Leftovers,” “Angie Tribeca,” “UnREAL,” and more!
- Speaking of the Emmys, networks are pushing their shows with full force. Check out some campaigns here.
- Season 4 of “Orange is the New Black” has dropped, and we are not okay. Our review.
- We ranked the 20 best TV dramas of the last 20 years. Check out our list here.