- Last Year’s Winner: Allison Janney, “Mom”
- Was It an Upset? No
- Still Eligible? Yes
- Hot Streak: Allison Janney has only won this category two years in a row, but her towering presence at the TV Academy stretches beyond the Supporting Actress category. She’s won three in the last two years with four nominations, and she’s got six total Emmys on her mantle.
- Fun Fact: Last year set a record for total nominees with eight.
While Julia Louis-Dreyfus has been racking up trophy after trophy in the lead actress category, Allison Janney has been doing serious damage in the other two. She’s won two Emmys in a row as a Supporting Actress for “Mom” and added a Guest Actress statue for “Masters of Sex” two years back. The seven-time winner is up for two trophies again this year (for both shows), and she very well could make the Supporting Actress three-peat happen in 2016.
Standing in her way are two “Transparent” performers, Gaby Hoffman and Judith Light, who hope their Amazon series can make a big splash after a stellar second season. Kate McKinnon has already dropped quite the cannonball, as the “SNL” star had quite the summer thanks to her scene-stealing role in the new “Ghostbusters.” Niecy Nash should get a nice push from HBO; that is, if Anna Chlumsky, a three-time runner-up who’s looking for her first win this year, doesn’t get the bulk of their PR love. She deserves it — and the win — but can she finally snap Janney’s win streak?
Below are IndieWire TV Critic Ben Travers’ predictions for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series, which will be updated throughout the awards season. Make sure to keep checking IndieWire for all the latest buzz and highlights from the 2016 race, and read the rest of the predictions in all the categories, as well.
- Anna Chlumsky, “Veep”
- Gaby Hoffman, “Transparent”
- Allison Janney, “Mom”
- Judith Light, “Transparent”
- Kate McKinnon, “SNL”
- Niecy Nash, “Getting On”
Will Win: Allison Janney, “Mom”
Could Win: Kate McKinnon, “SNL”
Should Win: Anna Chlumsky, “Veep”