Movies with scale and scope have the advantage in the sound categories. But so do musicals. With a $30 million budget, “La La Land” is a relatively modest contender and will do battle against bigger Best-Picture nominees “Arrival,” which won Best Sound at the BAFTAs, and “Hacksaw Ridge,” which won big at the Cinema Audio Society awards. Sometimes these awards split, but recently they have been the same movie.
Contenders (ranked in order of likelihood to win)
1. Robert Mackenzie and Andy Wright (“Hacksaw Ridge”)
2. Ai-Ling Lee and Mildred Iatrou Morgan (“La La Land”)
3. Sylvain Bellemare (“Arrival”)
4. Bub Asman and Alan Robert Murray (“Sully”)
5. Wylie Stateman andRenee Tondelli (“Deepwater Horizon”)