Each week, we report theatrical box office numbers -- and now that viewers are
increasingly watching films on digital platforms, we'd like to report
those numbers as well. Unfortunately, as Liesl Copland eloquently
pointed out recently during a presentation at the Toronto International Film Festival, digital numbers are not yet available no matter how badly we want to see them. The iTunes store ranks the top movie rentals and movie purchases, but they don't deliver any specific numbers on how many people have rented or purchased these films.
Each Monday we will present you with the most up-to-date list of Top 10 (Indie) Movies in iTunes (this list combines by rentals and purchases). Going forward, we hope to be able to provide you with even more information about how indie films are faring on various platforms. The top 10 indies in iTunes are listed below (number represents North American gross, where applicable):
1. The Kings of Summer (CBS Films, $1,315,500)
2. The Bling Ring (A24, $5,845,732)
3. The Place Beyond the Pines (Focus Features, $21,403,519)
5. C.O.G. (Screen Media, $43,744)
6. Mr. Nobody (Magnolia Pictures, N/A)
7. Drinking Buddies (Magnolia Pictures, $310,171)
8. Room 237 (IFC, $263,411)
9. Blue Caprice (IFC, $30,643)
10. Computer Chess (Kino Lorber, $95,059)
How many of these films have you seen?