1. "House of Cards" became the first digital series nominated for a best series Emmy. As Indiewire's TV editor Alison Willmore notes in this analysis, digital television arrived at the Emmys this year largely thanks to Netflix's "House of Cards," which managed 9 nods, including best dramatic series, acting (for both Kevin Spacey and Robin Wright), writing and directing.
2. But "Arrested Development" didn't follow suit. Meanwhile, Neflix's other contender "Arrested Development," managed a disappointing 3 nominations, none of which were for comedy series. The series had a ton of previous nominations from its run on network television (including a comedy series nod for every season it aired), but its only major bid came for Jason Bateman in the rather uncompetitive best comedy actor category.
3. "American Horror Story" gets the most nominations two years in a row. Just like last year, FX's "American Horror Story" managed 17 nominations, more than any show. In addition to a slew of technical nods, the Ryan Murphy "miniseries" saw actors Jessica Lange, Sarah Paulson, Zachary Quinto and James Cromwell all receive recognition.
4. "Game of Thrones" steals the top drama series crown from "Mad Men." Last year, "Mad Men" tied "American Horror Story" for the most overall nominations (17), but this time around fell to only 11. As a result, "Game of Thrones" became the new champion of the dramatic series field, taking 16 nominations ("Breaking Bad" also beat "Mad Men," taking 13).
5. "Mad Men" shut out of writing for first time. Not to keep picking on Matthew Weiner and co, but "Mad Men" did not manage a writing nomination for the very first time this year.
6. Louis C.K. got nine nominations! A year after nabbing a whopping six nominations (and winning two), Louie C.K. broke his own record by taking 9 nods: Acting, producing, directing and writing nods for his FX show, three more for producing, writing, edited and directing his special "Louis C.K.: Oh My God," and another for guest hosting "Saturday Night Live." Well on his way to the record books, Mr. C.K. now has 25 lifetime Emmy nominations.