by Peter Knegt
February 18, 2012 5:50 PM

2012 Oscar Predictions: Best Actor

Brad Pitt and Jonah Hill in "Moneyball." Sony.
Indiewire will provide regular updates of our predictions for the 84th Academy Award winners through February 26th, when the winners are announced.

While many are pegging a Viola vs. Meryl showdown in the best actress race, it seems after her SAG win and some very affecting speeches on the precursor circuit, Ms. Davis is looking more and more like an assured a win come Oscar night. Which leaves the only truly nail-biting acting race to the boys.

In the lead actor category, there's been a considerable split among precursors between George Clooney ("The Descendants") and Jean Dujardin ("The Artist"). Both won Golden Globes, while Clooney took a Critics Choice and Dujardin won the SAG. Either one of them could take home the Oscar, or feasibly another scenarios could go down if they split a large portion of the vote: Brad Pitt's humble charm on the circuit could help him win an Oscar for "Moneyball" (it also helps he's never won, while Clooney has).

This will make it one of the most relatively exciting envelopes to be opened February 26.

Best actor predictions below. Check out all predictions in all the categories here.

The Nominees
Demian Bichir, A Better Life
George Clooney, The Descendants
Jean Dujardin, The Artist
Gary Oldman, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
Brad Pitt, Moneyball

The Predicted Winner: Jean Dujardin, The Artist
The Possible Spoiler: Brad Pitt, Moneyball or George Clooney, The Descendants
Shoulda Been Here: Michael Fassbender, Shame

• Roxanne I. | February 26, 2012 9:35 PMReply

George Clooney. Number 1. Brad barely did any acting in Moneyball. Sorry Brad. But you don't need an award you know you're great and you are loved!!

• Adriane | February 26, 2012 7:55 PMReply

Damias has to win he did a great Job in the movie a better life

• Lea | February 26, 2012 7:20 PMReply

Hoping for Oldman! ...WISH Tom Hardy was nominated for Warrior.

• elia | February 26, 2012 3:44 PMReply

I would love to hear Bichir won, but that is extremely difficult he could have a good carer here in Mexico, but up there is only a latin actor J. Cloony has long way, a great number of films so, I hope J Cloony wins, I would hate Brat takes the figure.

• Brian | February 26, 2012 2:32 PMReply

should be Demian Bichir!

• Mona | February 26, 2012 11:28 AMReply

I go for the best actor and the best man in the world,- Edvard/Oscar in "Tuba Atlantic"!!!

• SEBASTIAN | February 25, 2012 6:03 PMReply

I go for Demian Bichir! Exellent actor. exellent person exellent in everything he do.

• daniela | February 25, 2012 5:58 PMReply

DEMIAN TEAM!!

• Walt | February 25, 2012 2:35 PMReply

Shoulda Been Here:

Eddie Redmayne (My Week with Marilyn)
    Thomas Horn (Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close)
    Ryan Gosseling (Drive)
    Ewan McGregor (Beginners)

• Mike | February 24, 2012 10:38 AMReply

Really wish that Joseph Gordon-Levitt could have made it in for 50/50. His balance between comedy and drama was surreal. Although, if anyone were to drop, Fassbender would have hopped in. Next time JGL, next time.

• rey | February 24, 2012 1:08 AMReply

Demian Bichir

• Chris O | February 22, 2012 11:52 AMReply

George Clooney should win by far

• Suresh Sankar | February 22, 2012 7:04 AMReply

Jean Dujardin will be the winner

• Manuel | February 22, 2012 3:27 AMReply

Demian Bichir is the best , I have watched all of his movies and he act in a theather performace in my university and he is an excelent actor , all Mexico know about it!!!

• Savia | February 21, 2012 9:45 PMReply

I agree with Cecilia. DEMIAN BICHIR is heart-wrenching in A BETTER LIFE.

• Cecilia | February 21, 2012 7:42 PMReply

DEMIAN BICHIR gave the best performance. He should win, A BETTER LIFE is the best movie.

• meme | February 21, 2012 7:18 AMReply

Michael Fassbender gave the best performance of the year. He should win, but he is not even nominated. Pathetic. That means that Oscars this year, and especially this category, are completely irrevelant. I really don't care who out of those more or less mediocre nominees will win this year. Especially that the only one deserving nominee, which is Gary Oldman, has zero chances to win.

• marilyn | February 21, 2012 2:20 AMReply

i agree; best actor should go to Michael Fassbander for Shame. this man was robbed of his Oscar.

• Savia | February 19, 2012 9:43 PMReply

The movie, A BETTER LIFE, will touch all of your emotions. DEMIAN BICHIR knows what the people go through that he portrays. A BETTER LIFE is one of the best love stories to come along in many years. It is a love of a father and a son. It is also a love of a group of people who are humbly trying to survive. I agree with Yolanda below. A win by this movie could change millions of lives. Politicians do not understand the goodness of the immigrant. Maybe this movie can bring about a beautiful change in the hearts of this world. This movie is a true story and passionately depicted by DEMIAN BICHER..

• Antony | February 19, 2012 10:29 AMReply

This catagory could be interesting for once!_ until a month ago I thought Clooney had this in the bag>.But with Dujardin's SAG and BAFTA wins it seems less sure- perhaps the votes will be split and Pitt could do it!

• Beth Powder | February 18, 2012 5:39 PMReply

You forgot about Michael parks for Red State. That movie was so good and so few watched it or even gave it the respect it deserved. How disappointing.

• Phanny | February 17, 2012 4:36 AMReply

This category is ruined for me since Michael Fassbender didn't get a nomination! By far the best performance of the year. I also love Michael Shannon.

• Shane | February 15, 2012 11:02 PMReply

Michael Shannon in "Take Shelter" was one of the greatest performances tha I have ever seen. He got completely snubbed here.

• yolanda | February 14, 2012 9:03 PMReply

If the academy does what it was intended to do,to honor those who have done great performances. DEMIAN BICHIR IS THE BEST ACTOR ,FOR A BETTER LIFE. I have seen all 5 movies, I am a regular movie going woman, Ihave seen this movie 6 times and i cried every single time. George and Brad have said in the media they admired demian's work in this movie, which is amazing that other nominess feel this way. George failed to make me cry in the scene when he crys for his wife. Brad did good, but not great. Mr. Dujardin did a great job but in the scene where he puts the gun to himself he failed to make me feel his pain, it made me jump with the bang. Mr. oldman on this movie did good but not great. Mr. Bichir did an amazing performance,he made me feel his pain, my throat got obstruted, I felt their separation, and sadly this is just like a true story, it is still true in the present. I truly pray that the academy votes by performaces only and not by color, or popularity. and to savia, i totally agree with you, to boo, the truth is he will win, if they dont see that he is mexican, because if this performance was done by a white person, It would be no question . DEMIAN IS THE BEST ACTOR. p.s. i would like comments of only those who have seen ALL FIVE MOVIES.

• Savia | February 13, 2012 9:25 PMReply

My predicted winner is Demian Bichir. He earned this award.

• Cecilia | February 21, 2012 7:44 PM

I agree with you Savia...!! DEMIAB BICHIR IS THE BEST ACTOR..!!!!

• BOO | February 14, 2012 5:26 PM

He won't win. No chance at all. Maybe YOU think he should, but the fact is that he won't.

• Leandro Martins | February 13, 2012 4:07 PMReply

"The Predicted Winner: Brad Pitt, Moneyball"

Say what?! No chance, please update this...

• Janet | February 13, 2012 7:49 AMReply

I have to go with Jean Dujardin. I saw "Brice de Nice", watch "Un gars et une fille" on YouTube and have seen the "OSS117" films. It took a news article to make me realize that the urbane George Valentin was the same guy who did those comedies (and you can't appreciate how different he was unless you'd seen Brice de Nice -- trust me on this if you haven't). He (Dujardin) showed real range and handled a difficult medium well. Not to mention having the Palme d'Or, the Golden Globe, the BAFTA... Bonne chance, M. Dujardin.

• Savia | February 12, 2012 9:29 PMReply

Demian Bichir and the producer of "A Better Life," made this beautiful movie from their hearts . This movie is a true and difficult story of immigrants who feel scared and unwanted. They are the sweetest people you will ever meet. I live in Georgia, and I see the men standing along the road waiting for work just like the men in the movie. I have seen the men digging holes in the 105 degree sun for 12 hours straight. Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie, being the humanitarians they are, would probably even prefer that "A Better Life" wins. I hope you are right about the "dark horse" this year.

• dm | February 12, 2012 7:42 PMReply

A couple of years ago Marion Cottillard upset julie Christie. Both were excellent, important performances. Another foreign "dark horse" deserves attention this year. Bichir has created a lovely character here. The academy has a chance to revalidate themselves with acknowledgement of his work. Ten years from now...I suspect his will be the performance of the year most remembered.

• Savia | February 11, 2012 8:57 PMReply

I hope very much that Demian Bichir wins. This movie is played so genuinely by Mr. Bichir. As another writer stated, you can read his feelings on his face. I promise that if you watch this movie, it will bring you to tears and it is a true story. He dedicated this movie to the millions of people who are really living their lives as his character. A win by him could bring much needed peace and understanding to millions of people, and could make a huge difference in our world. I don't know that wins by the others would do that.

• Michael Davenport | February 11, 2012 8:28 PMReply

In my opinion- Jean Dujardin, Brad Pitt, Gary Oldman will be the top 3

• Michael Davenport | February 14, 2012 8:57 PM

I like Clooney however I feel the performances by Dujardin, Pitt and Oldman were way better than Clooneys'

• BOO | February 14, 2012 5:27 PM

Clooney actually has a really fair chance over Oldman

• One Love | February 10, 2012 1:25 PMReply

Have we all lost our minds!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No way should Brad Pitt win best actor. If Brad Pitt wins then the Oscar will never be taken seriously after February 26th........................... Just give the award to Jean Dujardin and end of Discussion.

• Shirley Medina | February 9, 2012 6:49 AMReply

I hope Brad Pitt gets the best actor award at the Oscar, he really deserves it!

• martin | February 8, 2012 8:25 PMReply

soy mexicano, asi que como mexicano deberia apoyar a demian bichir, pero como critico aficionado, bien por su nominacion y por su actuacion , pero el oscar lo ganara el frances Jean Dujardin, su actuacion es fabulosa esta tan metido en el personaje que le creemos por eso lo ganara.

• BOO | February 6, 2012 9:38 PMReply

Why Brad Pitt? It seemed like it as George Clooney, then Jean Dujardin won the DGA, so it seemed like it would be wither of them, but now Brad Pitt? Maybe the race is squeezey.

• Daniel | February 6, 2012 5:19 PMReply

It's between Jean Dujardin and Brad Pitt, it would be interesting see who will choose the Academy, a movie star with a great body of work, or one of the most charming performance of the year, I actually, can't decide right now, GOD, can be any of them!!

• Nik Grape | February 6, 2012 5:30 PM

What did Pitt do to get into the mix all of a sudden and how is Clooney out of it?

• Nik Grape | February 6, 2012 1:57 PMReply

Woa woa ... Pitt is the predicted winner now? What am I missing here..

• Xris | February 4, 2012 12:42 PMReply

*Yawn* George Clooney gave the same old boring performance he does every single year and that's playing George Clooney, no versatility nothing and that's the best performance of the year? The academy has become a joke...Next!

• bert | February 5, 2012 9:06 AM

true. same for brat pitt though, really good at playng brat pit... and he just cant't keep his flapping hands down... he learned that in 12 monkeys.... thinks it's acting.
    But those two actors on the nomination list. a joke indeed,

• L | February 3, 2012 1:52 PMReply

Gary Oldman might be the most underrated actor of all time. He finally gets nominated by the academy and the reigning sentiment is that George Clooney or Brad Pitt will win? Gary Oldman should've won best supporting at least twice before now. He should've been nominated for just about every role he has ever done. Jean Dujardin or Demian Bichir look like solid winners, but seriously, give props where props are due. The academy owes this to Oldman, not just because he has had the most underrated and incredible career, but because he had the strongest performance this year.

• guy saker | February 7, 2012 9:06 PM

I couldn't agree more. Oldman is the greatest craftsman of all the nominees. A true actors actor and you are right he should have won an Oscar for best supporting actor at least three times by now and best actor at least twice. He is arguably the most snubbed actor be Hollywood history whne you take hes gift with his number of simply sublime performances into consideration. No one - and i mean no one has ever played given Dracula such an inspirational and compassionate performance and he was never even nominated, Beethoven, Sid Vicious just amazing performances and the list goes on. In this one a complete master of understatement rarely seen or achieved by any movie actors because told hold the screen while doing that is something only a true master craftsman can pull off. he will be snubbed again for a black and white film that while good is nominated for its point of difference and daring to be so rather than its sheer brilliance. If clooney or Pitt win it and they were good performances but com'on people Oldman of all them truly deserves an Oscar and some - but the Hollywood will see stars in their eyes and snub the genius of Oldman once again.

• Nik Grape | February 6, 2012 1:58 PM

Agreed completely. Though his chances are so slim. It would be like von Sydow winning over Plummer.

• bert | February 5, 2012 9:10 AM

yes! awesome actor. every role he played.

• alidragon | February 3, 2012 11:54 AMReply

If the Academy thinks George Clooney in the Descendants is the best of this year's offering, I offer this: Academy of Motion Pictures is a political body that doles out honors for reasons not apparent to the movie-going public - i.e. us. Not only was that a second rate movie (I actually kept looking at my watch due to my level of boredom), but Clooney was much better in Ides of March, and others.

• Mali | February 2, 2012 5:48 AMReply

Jean Dujardin is the outstanding choice. Without a word he carried a movie. He was funny, charming, sad, tortured and inspirational.

• Lee | February 1, 2012 10:32 PMReply

Why wasn't Leonardo nominated???!!! In fact, he should've been won for "Shutter Island" and "What's Eating Gilbert Grape"! He's so underrated! Anyways, back to the actual nominees. If George wins, I'm going to blow up in fury. He can't act...simple as that. He's literally the same person in EVERY SINGLE MOVIE HE'S IN! I hope Jean wins. His role, in my opinion, seems like it was the hardest to play. I was so ecstatic he beat George at the SAGs. Brad Pitt is also overrated, but I don't think he matters this year anyway. If anything, he should've been nominated for "The Tree of Life". It's clearly between Clooney (unfortunately) and Dujardin. Please win DUJARDIN!

• david | February 9, 2012 1:25 PM

Yes he shoulda been won, you sir are so right. Also how does Kristen Stewart continously get snubbed for Twilight. Ridiculous.

• Flawed | February 8, 2012 6:18 PM

No quicker way to discredit your opinion than to say Leo shoulda won for Shutter Island.

• movie2187 | February 1, 2012 3:01 PMReply

Bichir was pretty good in a bad film. Ryan Gosling had the performance of the year in drive but since he had about 10lines the academy ignored him, he also played a nice psycho when you think about it (like deniro in taxi driver). Brad Pitt was great in moneyball but even better in The Tree of Life

• Gaspar Marino | January 31, 2012 4:42 PMReply

I agree Michael Fassbender ws a glaring omission.

• Bogdan | January 31, 2012 1:28 PMReply

No Demian Bichir, Yes Michael Fassbender!

• CECILIA | February 21, 2012 7:46 PM

YES, DEMIAN BICHIR..!! He is the best actor..!!!!!

• Btbt1974 | January 30, 2012 11:07 AMReply

Leo DiCaprio was not nominated BUT Brad Pitt was? Are you out of your minds? Brad Pitt and that crazy junkie can hardly fill up theaters any more

• Btbt1974 | January 30, 2012 11:05 AMReply

I AM SO SICK of Brad Pitt!!!! I will NEVER pay to see a movie he is in NOR that low life he is with Angelina Jolie - the movie studios KEEP throwing them at us and NOBODY wants them - they both LOOK old and plastic - Angelina Jolie looks mental, plastic, anorexic - go eat and work out!! And her interviews - OH PLEASE - Brad found her in the shower slumped over from emotion? Maybe drugs and a mental break down. These people are a joke and are FAKE - FAKE - FAKE - they make the press tours and are nice to the TV Mages when they are promoting and selling. I swear everyone I know is SICK OF THEM. I cant even separate my dislike for them and watch them as entertainers. If Brad Pitt wins, the movie studios will be shocked at the reactions.

• David | February 8, 2012 7:26 PM

Seems like you just want something "pretty" on the screen. I feel sad for you.

• Geek | January 30, 2012 1:46 AMReply

Jean DuJardin!! George Clooney is the most overrated actor in the business. DuJardin carried a remarkable film on his back and is responsible for much of its praise.

• Shawna B | January 29, 2012 10:29 PMReply

Brad Pitt. He became the character in Money Ball. It's rare a movie brings me to tears and this one did because of his performance.

• Glenna Cross | January 29, 2012 10:48 AMReply

I loved Demian Bichir in A Better Life. I'd never seen him before but thought he was fantastic. I read his feelings on his face...and believed them. I doubt he will win but think perhaps he should.

• David | February 8, 2012 7:27 PM

WIN here.

• Janis Reid | January 28, 2012 12:00 PMReply

Giovanni Ribisi was ROBBED of nomination for Rum Diaries! He should not only have been nominated, be should win, handsdown.

• AA+ | January 27, 2012 4:27 PMReply

I still can't believe Leo DiCaprio is not nominated for "J.Edgar" ! I mean, ok maybe he's not always picnic during his shootings, ok he's been played depressive and nevrotic men for a long time now ! But people who say he has no range and has the same acting in "J.Edgar" than he had in his passed few movies obviously didn't watch it with real attention ! The way he speeks (even if he has a strange voice), the way he looks (he doesn't have a frowning face that much in this film) and the way he moves show all the nuances and the intensity he's able to give in a character !!!

I don't understand why a lot of you guys consider his best work is in "Blood Diamond" or in "The Departed" ! He's not bad at all in these two, but he's soooo much better and subtle in "The Aviator", "Shutter Island" or "J.Edgar" ! He doesn't overact, or he overacts in a good way (in "Shutter Island") ! I'm french, and maybe I'm wrong but he seems more popular in Europe than in America ! Don't take it bad, hugh ?! And sorry if I made writing mistakes !!!

• Spark | January 29, 2012 8:05 AM

C'mon. DiCaprio wasn't snubbed. He was not believable. He didn't realize that he looked rather artificial playing a 80 years old man while he is not even in his 40s? He should set goals that he can achieve, not goals that he wish to achieve. At least he should have seen performances of good characterizations to see how it's done... like this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSXYHqs0KPo Anyway, the real snubbed this years has been Ryan Goslin for Drive.

• Joey Oxford | January 27, 2012 2:09 PMReply

is Damian Bichir no demian

• Andy | January 27, 2012 5:39 PM

No, it's DEMIAN, search it in wikipedia.

• selenator | January 27, 2012 10:48 AMReply

If George Clooney won an oscar, he is going to have more oscars than Al Pacino or Sean Connery.. and the same amount as Kevin Spacey and Robert DeNiro!!!!

• Frank | January 28, 2012 8:42 PM

No it's "Demián" (with an accute accent symbol on the "a").

• Mahyar Brad | January 26, 2012 5:22 PMReply

only Brad Pitt.
    tree of life & money ball

• Verlo | January 26, 2012 2:25 PMReply

Jean Dujardin should win. BLEGH! Did George and Brad really give their best performances in these films? Um no, kind of underwhelmed. The Nominations this year kinda suck! Honorable mention - Demian Bichir is an amazing actor people have said his name and "surprised" in the same sentence but if you saw the film you shouldn't be...2nd Mexican-born actor to ever be nominated, I think that is quite an accomplishment—DIDN’T YOU SEE HIM ON WEEDS????? <3

• Andy | January 27, 2012 11:42 AM

Anthony Quinn won for best supporting actor, he was nominated for best actor in a leading role, but he didn't win

• Andy | January 27, 2012 11:37 AM

Anthony Quinn was first mexican-born actor nominated (and winner) to an oscar award. Demián is the second. =)

• selenator | January 27, 2012 10:51 AM

Javier Bardem is from Spain. Spain is in EUROPE.

• LALA | January 26, 2012 7:47 PM

Was the first Javier Bardem?

• Grant | January 26, 2012 2:17 PMReply

I think DiCaprio and Fassbender both were missed but I think either way George Clooney derserves this award because his performance was masterful as was Brad Pitt's in both "Moneyball" and "The Tree Of Life"

• I Said | January 25, 2012 2:34 PMReply

Leonardo needs to show his other side, he has to choose lighter roles as he is simply too tense. To be a great actor he has to venture on to other genres, not that he's not good, in fact I love him. However, a light, feel good and happy movie wouldn't hurt his chances on future Oscars, even if the movie turned out to be disastrous. He has to prove that he is a versatile actor and able to do many things, have a look at the great Merryl Streep or Jack Nicholson.

• LALA | January 26, 2012 7:49 PM

I love you. Why? Because you used 'Jack Nicholson' and 'great' in the same sentence. And you are very correct. Although, wasn't Titanic a feel-good film?

• cheryl | January 24, 2012 10:14 AMReply

Why not Thomas Horn? Fantastic performance.

• Martin | January 24, 2012 5:40 AMReply

I posted my own predictions hours before the announce...some similarities, and also some differences with IW. Check and comment: http://www.mondoglam.com/2012/01/predicciones-al-oscar-2012-ultima.html

• Léa | January 24, 2012 3:57 AMReply

Jean Dujardin le meilleur des français...il va gagner!!

• Edith | January 23, 2012 4:42 PMReply

Thank you Stanescu. S? you couldn't have said it more exquisitely...I aplaud you. Now, Moneyball? seriously? don't get me wrong, Brad Pitt is a great actor and is a shame that he has not been acknowledged by magnificent roles like Legends of the Fall and so many more. Although, what exactly did he do in Moneyball that I missed? When we are talking Oscar's we are talking excellence, superiority, brilliance, distinction, merit...NOT MEDIOCRITY...right? Now, let me not forget...The descendents? NOO! really? See, when any actor is to be nomitaded AND awarded a BIG CHECK LIST is to be considered - not just a sloppy vote that later leads to an unfair desicion. While The Artist is a very good film with great performances - no doubt, and as a result it means that other outstanding films or roles are to be ignored? Therefore I find a total insult to see Leo in the list of possible spoilers....haha! - give me a break! My whole intention is to be objective and send my point accross and hopefully we start thinking outside the box and for everyone to evaluate things with a different perspective. Because I feel I am fair in my opinion, I am not to disregard the performances of Michael Fassbender and Gary Oldman whom were simply splendid; but let us NOT forget The Academy is to narrow it down to THE BEST PERFORMANCE and that Ladies and Gentlemen...should only go to Mr. Leonardo diCaprio - enough said.

• S | January 23, 2012 2:52 PMReply

Ok, I didn't see George Clooney and Gary Oldman's performances (I'm french, their movies are not in theatres yet in France). I saw Brad Pitt, Michael Fassbender, Jean Dujardin, Leo DiCaprio and Michael Shannon's, and what I think is that : Fassby or Leo deserve it ! Their performances are absolutely astonishing !!! What the f. with Brad Pitt ? He did nothing spectacular in "Moneyball", he was very good, but not great !

Leo does deserve a nomination, and even the oscar ! Ok, his voice is kind of strange when he plays the old Hoover (I saw it in english), but I thought it fit with the strangeness of the character and he finally got the tired old man !!! He was moving and mysterious, cold and vulnerable, charming and repulsive, full of authority with a precious gesture justified by the hiden homosexuality of his character. He incarnes all these caracteristics in the most subtle way. He's not far of an extraordinary performance, and I can tell you that a lot of french reviews manifest a big love for him !!!

• ish | January 23, 2012 1:44 PMReply

two words = Gary Oldman

• Janet | February 13, 2012 7:44 AM

I think Dujardin should win, but if he doesn't, it should be Oldman, no doubt. I can't take either Pitt or Clooney seriously as Oscar candidates.

• laura | January 23, 2012 12:15 PMReply

definitely dicaprio! he should win, and he should have won a long time ago. Sometimes i think the oscards hold a grudge against him!!!

• Nancy SW | January 22, 2012 9:48 PMReply

My friend and I just took our 14 year old sons and 16 year old daughters to Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close...fantastic. We all cried and talked about it afterwards. Why is that young man not getting any oscar notice...I love George Clooney as much as the next person but seriously...the star of this movie..Thomas Horn takes your breathe away as does the story..it is beautiful, surprising and incredibly touching. Go see it...and you tell me that this movie and boy don't deserve to be nominated!!!!

• Stanescu Calin | January 22, 2012 7:25 PMReply

Edith you are absolutely corect.

• Edith | January 22, 2012 5:00 PMReply

So Leo is not even predicted in the top 5? but for God's sake...what a dissapointment! If Leo doesn't get this Oscar then what else does he need to do? he has outstandingly performed any possible role to confirm his TALENT! Now, how many times do others "supposed-to-be-good-actors" get the chance to even be even considered in the roles Leo has obtained? Best actor means best actor period! Yet, the academy as well as inept critics always think best movie leads to best actor and best everything (this is considering they got the movie right!) If J. Egar was by many considered "not a good film" (which I don't comprehend) then does that mean automatically mean that Leo's AMAZING performance should not be acknowledged? As a mexican I would love for Damian Bichir to win, and sure Brad and George deserve to be nominated for their performances too, but this year belongs to Leo by all means - and we all know this in this in the back of our heads. I truly wish that The Academy uses good judgement and wisdom to be fair with those who well deserve it like Leo; and if not, it would absolutely be the biggest dissapointment in the history of the Oscars.

• Alexsandra | January 22, 2012 3:42 PMReply

Mr. Gosling has long deserved an Oscar - "Half Nelson", "Blue Valentine" is now "The Ides of March". Oh, yes, "Drive" mesmerizing silence :o) (could be a silent movie?).
    Gosling - the best!

• Anthony | January 22, 2012 10:23 AMReply

If not Jean Dujardin, i'm guessing George Clooney.
    But why is Joseph Gordon Levitt on the 12th place? He was way better than others. (etc, Brad Pitt). I think he should have a chance. I'd vote for him. He was amazing on 50/50!

• Anthony | January 22, 2012 10:30 AM

Oh, and - i forgot!
    I'd also like to see Ryan Gosling on the top 5:

1. Jean Dujardin
    2. Joseph Gordon Levitt
    3. Ryan Gosling
    4. George Clooney
    5. probably Michael Shannon OR Gary Oldman.

• Lord Voldemort | January 21, 2012 11:53 PMReply

1)Gary Oldman all the way!! (Sirius Black guys!)
    2) Rupert grint needs to be in here