by Peter Knegt
February 17, 2013 4:12 PM

2013 Oscar Predictions: Best Picture

Lincoln
Indiewire will provide regular updates of our predictions for the 85th Academy Awards through February 24th, when the winners are announced.

Remember a month ago when it seemed like this category was "Lincoln"'s to lose, with "Life of Pi" and "Silver Linings Playbook" it's closest challengers? It seemed only reasonable, since they had both best picture and best director nominations (which as you've probaby heard 1,000 times in the past month -- only 3 films have ever won best picture without best director, the last being "Driving Miss Daisy"). But then the Golden Globes, SAGs, DGAs, PGAs and BAFTA Awards all helped drive Mr. Affleck from underdog to absolute frontrunner as the wild, wild ride to a frontrunner in this category has finally landed on "Argo."  Which will now have the underwhelming legacy of being used as an example alongside "Driving Miss Daisy" when Oscar nerds try and make prediction arguments...

Nominees and predictions below. Check out all predictions in all the categories here, and this list of all the Oscar-nominated films available ON DEMAND right now.

The nominees:
"Amour" Nominees to be determined
"Argo" Grant Heslov, Ben Affleck and George Clooney, Producers
"Beasts of the Southern Wild" Dan Janvey, Josh Penn and Michael Gottwald, Producers
"Django Unchained" Stacey Sher, Reginald Hudlin and Pilar Savone, Producers
"Les Misérables" Tim Bevan, Eric Fellner, Debra Hayward and Cameron Mackintosh, Producers
"Life of Pi" Gil Netter, Ang Lee and David Womark, Producers
"Lincoln" Steven Spielberg and Kathleen Kennedy, Producers
"Silver Linings Playbook" Donna Gigliotti, Bruce Cohen and Jonathan Gordon, Producers
"Zero Dark Thirty" Mark Boal, Kathryn Bigelow and Megan Ellison, Producers

Will win: "Argo"
Could win: "Lincoln"
Should win: "Zero Dark Thirty"

Check out all predictions in all the categories here.

Sign up HERE for Indiewire's Awards Season newsletter and receive a twice-weekly email roundup of our awards stories, hand-picked by our editors from across the Indiewire Network, plus additional coverage in the final run up to the Oscars.

• monkeypox6 | April 15, 2013 7:43 PMReply

How I think it should have been:

1. "Argo"*(Runner-up)
    2. "Beasts of the Southern Wild"
    3. "The Hunger Games"
    4. "Les Miserables"
    5. "Life of Pi"
    6. "Lincoln"
    7. "The Perks of Being a Wallflower"
    8. "Silver Linings Playbook"
    9. "Skyfall"
    10. "Zero Dark Thirty"*(WINNER)

• nusrat | February 27, 2013 11:07 PMReply

I think it will be nice but not more then LIFE OF PIE .It was just speechless.Let see

• kaylee riffer | February 24, 2013 7:52 PMReply

I think the life of pi

• kaylee | February 24, 2013 7:54 PM

I change to les misrebeles

• matt | February 24, 2013 6:19 PMReply

If Argo wins, I will never pay to see an american movie again.
    Ben Affleck is the most boring nerd actor of all time.
    If he wins it is a fix.

• Claire | February 25, 2013 12:12 PM

Totally agree!

• THETRUECINEMA | February 24, 2013 8:48 PM

I don't think Argo is that bad, in fact I think it is pretty good.
    However, I seriously DO NOT think it is better than LIFE OF PI.

• Grace | February 24, 2013 7:04 PM

agreed.

• Oscara | February 24, 2013 10:26 AMReply

UPDATES HERE FOR THE OSCARS 2013 (SNEAK PEAK, LIVE STREAMING, RED CARPET, RESULTS)

----- http://w.atch.me/Fpn4hV

• Cindy | February 24, 2013 1:39 AMReply

I've seen all of the films nominated this season (which is a first for me) and I was impressed by nearly all of them. Life of Pi and Beasts were absolutely amazing films in their respective ways however, I don't think they have what the Academy looks for in an Oscar film, which is disappointing. On the other hand, Silver Linings Playbook, in my opinion, should not have been nominated. I enjoyed the film well enough but I don't think it's Oscar worthy. It's just an odd choice for me and I would be incredibly shocked if it won. As for Amour it was a beautiful story and so well done but I think it will take the foreign film category but not the Best Picture too. It's not 'mainstream' enough, if that makes sense, for it to win. Now as for Les Miserables I adored the film. Being fluent in French and having always known the story and read the book I was greatly impressed by the film but I have a hard time seeing a musical winning Best Picture. I also think it's problematic that not everyone necessarily gets the depth of the story and that hurts it chances. Django Unchained was okay in my opinion. I like the premise of the story but there was something about it that was a bit off for me. Overall though, I thought it was worth seeing but again, I can't see it taking Best Picture. It might be too violent for this year’s Oscars considering all that has happened with gun violence in the U.S. lately. Also, I think it's hurt that in a lot of people's minds they associate it with the same time period as Lincoln and I think people would rather see Lincoln win than a film about a bounty hunting freed slave. I have one word for Zero Dark Thirty: no. This was the only film I just did not like at all. My problems with it were it was too... I don't know, it was indirectly 'America's the best' and 'we can get anything done whatever way we want'. It's too gung-ho America for me. Also, the event it depicts was so recent I feel like it was too soon; not because it's a touchy subject (though for some I'm sure it is) but because I still think a lot of people need to process what actually happened. Also, and I might be the only person who thinks this but I was put off by Jessica Chastain's performance. I just did not like this film at all. Okay, now comes the two films most people are talking about: Argo and Lincoln. Both films are exceptionally well done and quite different in topical areas. Let me first discuss Argo, to be honest I wasn't expecting to appreciate the film as much as I did. Middle Eastern politics has never been my forte or even interest but Affleck did an incredible job with the subject. I've heard some people complain that there are too many 'Middle Eastern' focused films in this year’s pool (which is ridiculous, two out of nine is not too much, at least in my opinion) and that it's too 'yay America!' like ZDT. However, I think it is better than ZDT in direction, subject matter, and nearly everything else. I think it illustrates the two sides better than ZDT did with its subject. Also, you can't compare ZDT and Argo because they are two completely different subjects twenty some years apart. So please no comparisons of ZDT to Argo please. Also I think Argo helps the public (at least American public) understand the relationship between the US and Middle East better. Sure, it has its inaccuracies but overall I think it's a good film to show the complexities of the relationship between the two regions. Now, onto Lincoln. Without a doubt I loved this film. Daniel Day-Lewis was fantastic as Lincoln, the whole cast was spot on, I thought. I really enjoyed seeing Lincoln portrayed as buying votes. I think that's thought of as dirty politics but when you think of what he was buying them for makes you think again. Yes, this film has its inaccuracies too, but I don't think that diminishes the quality of the film. It's still a solid film that explores a turning point in America. Also, I think Lincoln is a solid subject because he's one of America's most beloved historical figures, not to mention presidents. With that said I think Best Picture is between Argo and Lincoln and it's a very close race. Initially I thought Lincoln would win without doubt however, Argo has gotten incredible praise, as deserved, and therefore has become a major contender. Lincoln's that movie everyone's proud of in the sense that something good came out of the history the film is based on. Argo is more action packed and sheds light on the Middle East when there is so much chaos going on there now. (This is just a side note, but Argo kind of reminded me of the 2005 film Munich. I know the subject matter is nowhere near the same but maybe it was the way it was filmed but they were just similar to me for some reason maybe it was the cinematography... I don't know. Anyway...) I still think Lincoln might have the slight advantaged despite the acclaim and award success Argo has been having. Though it would not surprise me if Argo one. I guess we'll just have to wait!

• Drekee | February 23, 2013 8:40 PMReply

Life of Pi

• Patricia | February 23, 2013 1:52 PMReply

ARGO hands down...

• Ray Schaffer | February 23, 2013 12:30 PMReply

Saw Argo, great movie everyone applauded. Never saw that before. Tony Mendez a true American hero.. Should win and will win.

• Leeh | February 21, 2013 10:03 PMReply

Should Win: Zero Dark Thirty?? Are you kiddin' me??? I saw it yesterday (because the premiere here of Zero Dark Thirty was last friday) and even when it's not bad ... it's not like Argo, I dare to say that I (PERSONAL OPINION HERE) enjoyed WAY more Silver Linings Playbook, Lincoln, Django, Pi and Lés Miserables. For me it goes like this:

Will Win: Argo
    Could Win: Zero Dark Thirty // Lincoln
    Should Win: Oh uhmmm ARGO! or maybe Django or Silver Linings...

• lindsey | February 21, 2013 5:29 PMReply

The last to win best picture without a best director was actually Chicago.

• Vic | February 22, 2013 2:12 AM

The last to win best picture without a best director was in fact Crash in 2006, when Ang Lee win for best director ('Brokeback Mountain'). But the last movie to win without even been nominated for best director was Driving Miss Daisy (1989); Bruce Beresford was omitted in 1990 awards.

• REAGAN | February 21, 2013 4:24 PMReply

I seriously can't believe the amount of love LIFE OF PI is getting: It was a very pretty movie and that's about it. The book was touching and the movie was not. It's definitely between LINCOLN and ARGO, LINCOLN being more of a 'love-letter' to the Academy that will likely go unnoticed. Personally, SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK, to me, was one of the more truthful pictures i've seen in a long time, but I don't expect it to go as far.

will win: ARGO
    could win: LINCOLN
    should win: SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK
    won't win and shouldn't: LIFE OF PI

• Samuel | February 22, 2013 6:16 PM

Are you joking?
    Pi was the most brilliant film of the year. It was most deservign of the awards then any of these movies combined.
    Silver Linings Playbook was awful. Just awful. Jennifer lawrence and Bradley Cooper both campaigned hard for their nominations. I wonder who they blew or screwed to get their nominations.
    How can it be between Lincoln and Argo? Its between Pi and Lincoln, with the most Oscar nominations.

• AVATAR | February 22, 2013 12:45 AM

Not everybody is able to understand/appreciate LIFE OF PI. I am sorry if you don't get it.

• kamran | February 21, 2013 9:42 AMReply

AMOUR need no nomination in this one , should win foriegn . ARGO is here to win it even a biggest snub in directiion. BEAST great film should have nomination only. DJANGO weakest film of tarantino yet so far , i dont like tarantino style to go in past era , hate it. LES MIS shut the singing for once and act ehhhhhhh eat my brain after watching hathway scene cant see the rest. LIFE great message that better as a novel , great effects but forgettable and after crouching and brokeback , lee give hollywood this. LINCOLN a legendry movie that will remain in history forever , great acting , great direction to win. SILVER such a lame story , love bradly acting , hate lawrence rude bitch acting , waste of direction and supporrting actors nominee. and ZERO memorable film , snubbed in direction , should won screenplay

• THETRUECINEMA | February 20, 2013 1:25 AMReply

I am confident ANG LEE will be the BEST DIRECTOR. I am hoping LIFE OF PI will be the BEST PICTURE as well. @laurelhero

• james | February 19, 2013 1:35 PMReply

More than three movies have won the oscar while ignoring the director.
    Surprised that Indiewire got this wrong. The below are examples of best pictures while the director did not win the award.
    Gladiator - 2000, Chicago- 2002 Crash- 2005, Shakespeare In Love- 1998, Chariots of Fire-1981, Driving Miss Daisy- 1989, Godfather part 1 - 1972 etc...

Fact check?

• AVATAR | February 19, 2013 10:47 PM

Nothing wrong with the facts given.

• Mike | February 19, 2013 8:27 PM

I think their facts are right, they meant a movie has only won three times without the director being nominated, as is the case with Argo.

• THETRUECINEMA | February 18, 2013 11:52 PMReply

Before Oscars nominations were out back in January, basically no body paid any attention to LIFE OF PI [which made me wonder why]. Then nominations list was announced, and The Academy didn't disappoint.

We are now in similar situation. Little to no attention is given to LIFE OF PI, though it received 11 nominations. The Academy will give us surprises again, just like on many Oscars nights before.

To all LIFE OF PI supporters, continue to KEEP THE FAITH, just like PI.

** No comment on Lincoln still, due to this film still not available in this region **
    @laurelhero

• THETRUECINEMA | February 18, 2013 11:04 PMReply

To all LIFE OF PI supporters, continue to KEEP THE FAITH, just like PI.

• Gabo | February 18, 2013 9:40 PMReply

Will win: "Argo"
    Could win: "Argo"
    Should win: "Argo"

• THETRUECINEMA | February 18, 2013 12:17 AMReply

Though Argo has won string of awards going into Oscars, but I feel it will NOT win Best Picture. The Oscars is a totally different new game, and it usually tends to spring some surprises.

I have watched Argo once. It is definitely a Great film, I like it very much. However, I wouldn't watch it again. It is the type of film that you watch it once and you think hey wow what a great film and that's it, you wouldn't want to watch it one more time. It lacks those "special moments".

I still go for LIFE OF PI absolutely. I have watched it 6 times. And plan to buy and keep the Blu-Ray/DVD once out in store. It is more universal, has a number of unforgettable special moments, has Greater depths, is more difficult to make, more punch, it is just so BEAUTIFUL in every aspect of a Film.

• THETRUECINEMA | February 18, 2013 12:16 AMReply

• TheTrueCinema | February 18, 2013 12:14 AMReply

Though Argo has won string of awards ahead of Oscars, but I feel it will NOT win Best Picture. The Oscars is a totally different new game, and it usually tends to spring some surprises.

• EVAN | February 17, 2013 10:43 AMReply

The Best Picture will go between Lincoln and Life of Pi since they lead the nominations. I think Lincoln will win because it got the most nominations among them all. It had 12 while Life of Pi had 11. Argo would've gotten the most nominations and been the favorite if Ben Affleck had not got snubbed for Best Director. It may be winning a lot of other major awards, but it's not gonna win the Oscar for Best Picture. Now it will win under some other categories.

• Cinema | February 17, 2013 6:42 PM

I disagree, it is between Lincoln and Argo. Snubbing Afleck for best director only hurt the movie for about a minute, it continues to pick up a lot of steam and basically every award. It may not have many other nominations but it could easily pick up wins in adapted screenplay, film editing, and sound editing as well as Best Picture. Life of Pi would be much more of a surprise than Argo. Pi will probably win a hell of a lot of technical awards (and possibly director) but the chances of best picture are pretty low, the fact that it doesn't have any acting noms doesn't help. But then again Slumdog won without any noms in those categories, so really anything goes.

• Ryan Lindauer | February 16, 2013 11:37 PMReply

perfect. i could not make a better list. serious thumbs up!

• Barbara | February 16, 2013 12:17 AMReply

After seeing all the nominated movies - LIFE OF PI will win best picture. An absolutely magnificent movie! Beautiful soundtrack, cinematography is amazing.

• John | February 15, 2013 10:08 PMReply

No one seems to be talking about Zero Dark Thirty, seriously ? Give it a chance will ya

• Cinema | February 17, 2013 6:32 PM

I know it is a shame. If Bigelow would have gotten a directing nomination the movie's chances would be much higher for best picture. The fact that the movie has so much controversy around it (which is so stupid) has really hurt it's chance. As we saw a few years ago with Brokeback Mountain, the academy isn't one for controversial movies.

• Keegan | February 15, 2013 12:03 PMReply

I think Argo has about a 60% chance of winning, Lincoln with 30%, Silver Linings Playbook with about 20% and Life of Pi with 10%, but the best film of the year was The Master (and Django Unchained right behind it).

• Thmo | February 14, 2013 3:15 PMReply

Life of Pi will win. Lincln was boring and crap. Its only gonna get the Best Actor award.

• Donna | February 18, 2013 8:29 AM

ijust hope Django doesn't win given the violence but it just might since the film industry has their back up with many laying blame on them for the violent culture of our country . I think Argo will & should win & I would watch it multiple times but I also saw Lincoln, Zero Dark Thirty & Life of PI I really don't think Life of PI will win beautiful &great movie but just not nearly as good as the others but who knows I loved them all I think the Academy is questionable I think their biased or something case in point snubbing Afleck what's up with that!!

• Nathan | February 14, 2013 12:36 AMReply

Will win - Lincoln
    Should win - Argo or Django Unchained

I loved Argo and Django, didn't care for Lincoln but Lincolns the perfect "Oscar" movie. It was made to win best picture.

• suyash | February 13, 2013 3:05 AMReply

should win-->beasts of the southern wild
    will definitely win--> beasts of the southern wild
    if beasts of he southern wild will not win...oscar will lose my respect!

• Sandy | February 20, 2013 12:47 AM

You're so right, Suyash. Beasts of the Southern Wild should win the Oscar. It's the most original film to be made in a long, long, long time. It is totally outside the Hollywood pattern film (a pattern that is losing audiences' interests faster than the glaciers are melting). It won't win because it doesn't feature any Screen Actors' Guild (read: Hollywood) darlings like Affleck, Fields, Lewis . . . those folks who make and star in the movies that have become predictable and boring. Like you, I will lose all respect for SAG, Hollywood, and the "in" crowd. Once a person who could watch movies 24/7, I've been bored to tears in recent years . . . until Beasts. I'm also a history buff, so looked forward to Lincoln, Argo, 0 Dark 30 . . . only to find them uninspiring.

• vandywisky | February 19, 2013 1:04 AM

Yeah, I'm with Boo. You don't have to watch the Oscars to find out that Beasts of the Southern Wild will lose Best Picture. Amour and Life of Pi are the dark horses. It's basically a four-horse race between Argo, Lincoln, Zero Dark Thirty, and Silver Linings Playbook. I'm glad you liked BOTSW, though. Most people haven't seen it yet. Good movie but definitely not top 4 this year.

• BOO | February 14, 2013 5:20 PM

Yeah that's not going to happen but it would be amazing. It won't win. That's how things work, sorry.

• Daryl | February 12, 2013 4:35 PMReply

Life of pi is really better, when i see the movie and it ends i feel that i can´t talk, only feel it when i watch Titanic, l.a confidential, Green mile, schindler`s list and forrest gump
    i think life of pi should win.

• andrea | February 11, 2013 7:36 PMReply

Watch Oscar Awards 2013 Online

• David | February 9, 2013 6:34 PMReply

Um, the last movie to win "Best Picture" without winning "Best Director" was "Crash" in 2005. DO YOUR RESEARCH!!!!! Also, "Beasts of the Southern Wild" should totally win, even though it won't.

• Michelle | February 9, 2013 8:37 PM

Before you get all snooty with your Do your research comment, they were talking about a win without a Best Director NOMINATION. So how about you read more thoroughly..

• sean | February 7, 2013 6:52 AMReply

Seen life of pi 3 times yes , fantastic in 3d you have to see it this way. Lincoln not an epic or classic ok a watchable show. Would i watch it again ..No .Hugo was yhe only show last year i could watch once a year. Watch listen and enjoy LIFE OF PI

• HONOR THE TRUE WINNER | February 6, 2013 9:06 PMReply

You gotta watch LIFE OF PI at least once [and then THINK about it even more], and you would realize that this film has to be the BEST PICTURE. It has all the great ingredients to win this accolade [hope The Academy get it right this time].

Art, Technology, Storytelling, All perfectly and beautifully blended together. It has such Great depth that makes you want to watch it over and over and over and over again, in a long, long, long, long time to come.

It's like listening to John Lennon. It's like slowly peeling an onion to find out what's in the core, whilst tears slowly trickle down.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter to me whether it wins any Oscars. @laurelhero

• Mike | February 6, 2013 7:47 PMReply

Django is easily the Best Picture of the year. It has nothing to do with whether you like Tarantino or not; it simply serves as an example for why we go and see movies. You get people that will pick any one of those movies that are nominated and give their reasons why it's better than the other, and don't get me wrong, they are great movies. The thing is with Django is that it combines all movies together in to one. Action, comedy, western, history, politics, racism...and more.

• Uriah | February 6, 2013 8:07 AMReply

The anticipation of finding out who wins an Oscar is killing me! There are a lot of movies that I loved, but Life of Pi was my favorite movie of last year. I’m looking forward to watching the Academy Awards. Sadly, on the 24th, I’ll be working late at DISH. I’m just glad that my DISH Hopper DVR uses the PrimeTime Anytime feature to automatically record all four major networks during primetime, so I won’t miss it entirely. I have other shows on at the same time as the Academy Awards, so it’s nice that those will still be recorded.

• HONOR THE TRUE WINNER | February 6, 2013 4:42 AMReply

LIFE OF PI deserves BEST PICTURE. ANG LEE deserves BEST DIRECTOR again.

• Sam | February 6, 2013 3:36 AMReply

The Academy Awards wants to improve on a lot of things which includes integration, recognition, fame and education. All of these elements are carried out though each of the film nominated. The Oscars will elect a film that has generate fame through box office success, integration amongst blacks and whites acting together and is educational to the young generation. That is as we all know it LINCOLN (BEST PICTURE OF THE YEAR).

• HONOR THE TRUE WINNER | February 5, 2013 1:47 AMReply

IF race/ethnicity of its nominees is one of the influencing factors in determining the Winners, then sadly The Academy will lose its meaning and its place/role as the ultimate representation of GLOBAL films recognition. @laurelhero

• Honor The True Winner | February 5, 2013 1:15 AMReply

• Ades | February 4, 2013 12:09 PMReply

Life of Pi will win. Great movie and well done. Lincoln was a bore. Typical Oscar bait movie. Pathetic.

• Hamid | February 4, 2013 4:00 AMReply

Hi..i am irani..i think winner:lincoln_life of pi..
    But argo:argo is not perfect real..argo is politicali film..

• Zach | February 4, 2013 12:28 AMReply

Lincoln will win. Argo is being favortied but I just see this as history repeating itself. The same thing happened with Apollo 13 and Braveheart in the 90s. Apollo 13 won all the guilds but the director was not nominated and a movie with a big name director and about a much farther in the past incident rather than one only a few decades old won.

• Morgan | February 3, 2013 11:29 PMReply

For me
    What should win: Argo or Lincoln
    What I wish would win: Zero Dark Thirty and Django: Unchained
    What will never win: Les Miserables

• JAY | February 6, 2013 12:08 PM

"What will never win: Les Miserables" I bet you don't understand the story and don't appreciate musicals, You fool! A musical (specially Les Miz w/ drama,action,love story and comedy) was the most deserving film to win that prize. I'm not a musical lover but I cried and got all the emotions when I watched the film. My friend even told me (who I swear wasn't a musical fantards) says "Only people with a heart of stone will not cry or at least tear when they watched Les Miz"

• Duddi | February 3, 2013 9:36 PMReply

I've seen them all, and the best ones were Zero Dark Thirty and Amour... So i hope a surprise in this category is not out of the question, knowing that a real race is between Argo and Lincoln.

• Kelly Windswort | February 3, 2013 12:45 PMReply

I have seen Lincoln, Beast of the Southern Wild, Silver Lining Playbook, Argo, Django Unchained, Zero Dark Thirty and Life of Pi. Haven't seen Les Mis and Amour as yet so I won't comment on either. However, from the films that I have seen there were honestly all good except for Silver Lining Playbook which I still cannot understand how in the world that got nominated. "SLP REALLY", I strongly believe that it's there on the nomination list just to occupy space. ZDT, amazing but don't really see it as an Oscar winning film like The Hurt Locker. Argo was focus mainly on political issues which is why it got nominated. Politics tend to control the Academy Awards so I won't be surprise it Argo wins. Life of Pi without a doubt should take home all the technical categories including best song. But, it has a slim chance of winning due to the fact that Life of Pi isn't doing well at other awards leading up to the Oscar ceremony. Beast of the Southern Wild, trilling, compelling and outstanding motion picture which should win since it reflects the reality of life for most people but I don't know if voter will feel the same way. Django Unchained was extremely written perfectly with great dialog and brilliant actors that were over look (Leo Dicaprio). Despite it's worthy of winning an Oscar the voters are not so drawn to the film. Lastly, Lincoln which seems to be the big buzz for the Oscar. Lincoln will win upsetting all those who are in favor of Argo. Remember the title says Best Picture (Lincoln) not Most Favorite Film (Argo). With that said, Lincoln could win, should win and WILL WIN.

• Bruce | February 3, 2013 2:50 AMReply

If Zero Dark Thirty win, it will be a big big surprise for everyone but for me I'll be so happy. But I don't think it will happen unless there is a miracle. I think it will be just between Argo and Lincoln and since Argo got everything (PGA, SAG(hard to believe it won), The Golden Globe and recently DGA), the Oscar will surely belong to Argo. That's it, end of the race. The Academy has sucked us this year

• Ash | February 22, 2013 11:11 AM

If the movie Gandhi swept many of the Oscar awards, including best picture, some thirty odd years ago, it is very likely that Lincoln will win the Oscar award for best picture in 2013. Lincoln, like Gandhi was historically a towering political figure and was instrumental in bring social change in American politics - a message that needs to be driven across the global audience lest they forget :-). The Oscars will not and cannot let this reality go unnoticed, and so I would be very suprised if the movie doe not bag the best picture award. The other reality, IMHO is that Life of Pi is most deserving for the best movie award for its superb direction, cast and redeeming qualities about the human mind to face challenges in times of adversity. Life of Pi is certainly the best "fictional" movie that does not focus on some historical figure or event (Lincoln, Argo, Zero Dark Thirty) with the possible exception of Amour, which rightfully should belong in the best foreign film category.

• ^_^ | February 3, 2013 2:19 AMReply

for me ...
    will win : LIFE OF PI or LES MISERABLES
    could win : ARGO or LINCOLN or ZERO DARK THIRTY
    should win : LIFE OF PI or LES MISERABLES
    should be on the list : SKYFALL and THE BEST EXOTIC MARIGOLD HOTEL :-)

• Ross | February 2, 2013 2:44 PMReply

The Dark Knight Rises, The Raid, The Hobbit, Looper, and Cloud Atlas weren't nominated. Beasts Of The Southern Wild, Les Mis, Silver Linings Playbook, and Lincoln were nominated. Way to fuck up big time, academy.

• Donna | February 18, 2013 8:38 AM

I don't know maybe the Academy showed some class not nominating Dark Knight after the mass killing in Aurora CO but I also seriously doubt it could hold a candle to other nominations which is probably the real reason

• BOO | February 3, 2013 6:37 PM

Fanboy. Those are some of the biggest fanboy movies of the year. And how can you be upset about Beasts being nominated? Not enough action for you? Look again at your list. You think movies that have action should be nominated, and every movie you don't think should have been didn't have action. See? Fanboy.

• JC | February 2, 2013 7:13 PM

The Hobbit sucked!! Why would they nominate it?

• JD | February 2, 2013 11:09 AMReply

I doubt that Argo will win best picture. Lincoln is the clear front runner. I feel that Zero Dark Thirty also has a very good chance of winning. Silver Linings Playbook also has a chance to pull off a surprising win.

• Paulo | February 1, 2013 12:39 PMReply

It´s Argo´s year.it´s a political award, praising the work of the intelligence services

• Camilo Caballero | January 31, 2013 10:37 PMReply

I don't think the Academy will go as far as giving Best Picture to a film that wasn't nominated for Best Director, so I think Lincoln is still the frontrunner. However, by the looks of it Argo is making a case for itself to be the first film to do so since 1989. Wouldn't mind if it did, however I still think Lincoln is the production that most deserves it as every aspect of the film is done very well. For Zero Dark Thirty, that's one of the most overrated movies of the year. Sure it is well made, Bigelow is very good at directing and Chastain delivers an amazing performance. But still, the move creates no empathy for the characters whatsoever, the script isn't anything special and is full of cheesy lines, and the movie does nothing but scream that the US's war is the correct one. A very propagandist film that won't really appeal to overseas viewers. Silver Linings Playbook, on the other hand, is a very good option for an outside position, and I would be happy if it did win.

• Oscar Specialist | January 31, 2013 5:42 PMReply

I still think Lincoln is the front-runner....

• Doddi Jonsson | January 29, 2013 9:53 AMReply

Zero Dark Thirty is one of the most overrated movies in recent history!! Why on earth "should that picture win"? Silver Linings Playbook, Lincoln and Argo are all better and deserve to win, and even few other films that weren't nominated. My choice this year is definitely Argo where you have suspense, acting, script, music and great directing ... marvellous fun and a brilliant movie. ZDT ... a monotonic chronological look at a very boring manhunt.

• Doddi Jonsson | January 29, 2013 9:52 AMReply

• Harris | January 28, 2013 5:38 PMReply

Argo fuck yourself. I'm still on team Lincoln.

• Helmer Oster | January 27, 2013 11:06 PMReply

Sheldon should be a film scribe for a newspaper or magazine. He must spend seven days a week
    at the silver screen and searching every piece of pulp about performances and productions.
    OMG!

• Sheldon Gaskell | January 26, 2013 5:41 PMReply

My Best Choices for the main categories of the 2013 Oscars. * indicates an actor, film, director, etc. that was snubbed in this year's Oscar nominations.

Best Picture
    * The Master or Moonrise Kingdom - the tenth Best Picture nominee

Winner: Life of Pi - Lincoln is the most popular choice, but from a cinematic perspective it is no match for the magical brilliance of Life of Pi. The film is texturally beautiful with sounds, music, color, and awe-inspiring cinematography. The directing, acting, and story are exquisite, and the film is successful in reaching into that philosophically unexplored place in the mind of viewers. Sadly, I doubt the film will receive the attention it deserves by the Academy.
    Runner-ups: Silver Linings Playbook

Best Director
    * Kathryn Bigelow (Zero Dark Thirty) - replacing Steven Spielberg (Lincoln)
    * Ben Affleck (Argo) - replacing Benh Zeitlin (Beasts of the Southern Wild)

Winner: Ang Lee (Life of Pi) - Spielberg failed to deliver in his direction of Lincoln's character and death. Lee's direction in Life of Pi through the combination of image, action, sound, music, and story is astounding and difficult to beat. Michael Haneke's direction in Amour is also superb, but it is unlikely that a foreign film director will gain too much attention from the Academy.
    Runner-ups: Michael Haneke, David O. Russell

Best Actor
    * John Hawkes (The Sessions) - replacing Bradley Cooper (Silver Linings Playbook)

Winner: Joaquin Phoenix (The Master) - It is highly likely Day-Lewis will take the Oscar. Phoenix is the best choice, however, based on the direction in his acting and heart-wrenching depiction of a decaying man. Hugh Jackman is incredible in Les Misérables, but the scope of his acting is no where near that which Phoenix and Day-Lewis offer in their performances. The Academy also generally avoids awarding top prize to actors in musicals, which puts Jackman at a great disadvantage in the race. Day-Lewis and Washington both delivered powerful appearances in Lincoln and Flight; however, these performances are not their greatest to date.
    Runner-ups: Daniel Day-Lewis, Hugh Jackman, Denzel Washington

Best Actress
    * Marion Cotillard (Rust and Bone) - replacing Quvenzhane Wallis (Beasts of the Southern Wild)

Winner: Emmanuelle Riva (Amour) - Her touching performance in Amour is sure to please the Academy Critics. Also in her favor is the fact that she is the oldest actress nominated for the Oscar. If she does not bring home the prize, then Jennifer Lawrence will.
    Runner-ups: Jennifer Lawrence, Jessica Chastain

Best Supporting Actor
    * Leonardo DiCaprio (Django Unchained) - replacing Alan Arkin (Argo)

Winner: Phillip Seymour Hoffman (The Master) or Christoph Waltz (Django Unchained) - It is a competitive race in this category with Tommy Lee Jones' strong appearance in Lincoln, DeNiro's poignant performance in Silver Linings Playbook, and Waltz's elegant hilarity in Django Unchained. Hoffman best demonstrates his ability to connect with audiences in his monumental performance in The Master, but it will not be a quick Oscar win for Hoffman with these other worthy nominees. Waltz won the Golden Globe in this category making him the frontrunner and most likely candidate to take the prize.
    Runner-ups: Robert DeNiro, Tommy Lee Jones

Best Supporting Actress
    * Nicole Kidman (The Paperboy) - replacing Jacki Weaver (Silver Linings Playbook)

Winner: Anne Hathaway (Les Misérables) - No other actress this year will most attract the Academy's attention than Hathaway's brilliant performance as Fantine in Les Misérables. Amy Adams is stellar in The Master, but Hathaway's performance is the most Oscar-worthy.
    Runner-ups: Amy Adams

Best Original Screenplay
    * Rian Johnson (Looper) - replacing John Gatins (Flight)

Winner: Quentin Tarantino (Django Unchained) - Tarantino does it again in this thrilling Spaghetti-Western-esque classic. Django's plot is enthralling, the dialogue is interesting and character-driven, the one-liners are hilariously placed, the writing is superb overall. Wes Anderson and Roman Capplo's writing in Moonrise Kingdom is unique, poignant, and offers audiences an interesting perspective on the joys and troubles of youth; however, Tarantino is most fitting for the Academy's tastes in this category.
    Runner-ups: Wes Anderson and Roman Cappola, Michael Haneke

Best Adapted Screenplay
    * Stephen Chbosky (The Perks of Being a Wildflower) - replacing Chris Terrio (Argo)

Winner: David O. Russell (Silver Linings Playbook) - It will surely be a race for top prize in this category between Russell and Kushner. Although both nominees are successful in their abilities to connect with audiences through realistic dialogue and impressive plot lines, Russell's writing in Silver Linings Playbook is arguably more original and connects with audiences on a deeper level than Kushner in Lincoln.
    Runner-ups: Tony Kushner, David Magee

Best Cinematography
    * Mihai Malaimare Jr (The Master) or Andrew Lesnie (The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey) - replacing Seamus McGarvey (Anna Karenina)

Winner: Claudio Miranda (Life of Pi) - Life of Pi's visual magnificence will take the Oscar. The scene where Pi looks into the ocean of glowing phosphorescent jellyfish is enough to win the prize. Deakins' cinematography in Skyfall will be a worthy competitor, however.
    Runner-ups: Roger Deakins

Best Original Score
    * Alexandre Desplat (Zero Dark Thirty) or Reinhold Hell & Johnny Kilmek (Cloud Atlas) - replacing Thomas Newman (Skyfall)

Winner: Mychael Danna (Life of Pi) - There is overall beautiful music throughout Life of Pi that touches the very heart and soul of the viewers. Compared with other contenders there is no doubt Danna will take the Oscar.
    Runner-ups: John Williams, Alexandre Desplat

Best Original Song
    * "Ancora Qui" (Django Unchained), Ennio Morricone - replacing "Everybody Needs a Best Friend" (Ted)

Winner: "Pi's Lullaby" (Life of Pi), Michael Danna, Bombay Jayshree - The song's mystery and power stirs the very soul; however, there has been recent debate whether this song is truly original. This controversy may impede its chances of winning.
    Runner-ups: "Skyfall," "Suddenly"

• Riveria | January 21, 2013 5:05 PMReply

Its between Life of Pi and Lincoln. Silver Linings Playbook? HA!
    Beats of the Southern Wild was just an awful, awful movie. I had to turn it off after 30 mintues because it was so badly made and the acting wasn't anything great.

• frankie | January 21, 2013 4:57 AMReply

I think Lincoln should and will win. That movie is impeccable in every form.

• TONY | January 20, 2013 6:19 PMReply

Argo and SLP were WAAAY over-rated. Beats of the Southern Wild is probably the only movie in that lists that even deserves to be there

• Jason | February 2, 2013 10:06 PM

Finally! Someone says it! Argo is so over-rated. It's almost as bad as Avatar was. I liked SLP though.

• TIM | January 20, 2013 5:48 AMReply

The Life of Pi song nominated under original song category has created a row in India. Both Bombay Jayshre (for lyrics) and M.Danna are nominated under this category. However, there are reports in the media that the lyrics are not original, but extremely similar to another famous lullaby from Kerala, a state in India. Bombay Jayshre had sung the "original" song "Omanathink kidavo" in her album "Valsalyam". Reports say that M.Danna had heard the song in this album and approached her for Life of Pi.

• Amit | January 20, 2013 1:21 AMReply

Argo has a great chance to win the Best Film category this time

• jerry | January 19, 2013 10:15 PMReply

Zero Dark Thirty was a complete ZERO and should get zero votes for a movie that I would not even consider a movie. It is a good reenactment like last years Hurt Locker which was an instantly forgettable flick just like this one is. Silver Linings should win and Jennifer Lawrence is the best new actress on the planet.

• Argo | January 17, 2013 2:20 PMReply

They should take ou that shit amour and put Skyfall and The Impossible and Argo should win

• Matt Murdock | January 16, 2013 4:32 AMReply

I'm AGHAST that people (including good old Indiewire) seriously think Lincoln will win Best Picture. There's ZERO chance of this happening. Are you all BLIND? At best, it'll win best actor. Maybe a few technical prizes, but not much. The film is too predictable and conventional...

Even Silver Linings Playbook is a more serious contender, having been the first film in 31 years nominated for Best Film + Director + Screenplay + all 4 acting awards.

But I think - if it keeps momentum - Les Miserables will win. Not that it's the best film of the lot (far from it!) but that's never the issue when it comes to Oscars!

Argo *could* do a Hurt Locker and come out as a modest winner (Best Film + Screenplay only, maybe one more) rather than sweeping the board.

• Mark | January 28, 2013 1:05 PM

So true. The only thing outstanding in this movie is Daniel Day-Lewis. The whole movie is predictable, average, so 'seen-it-before' and thus very boring. Steven Spielberg failed in this movie. All other acting were either so over the top or ridiculous. Definitely cannot feel for them. Tommy Lee Jones should have not won at the SAG's.

• Mano | January 15, 2013 7:23 PMReply

"Lincoln" film is the best movie for the Oscar awards 2013. Nicely directed by Steven Spielberg with excellent production design, make up, superb editing, best American historical reality and
    very impressive acting of 16th past President of US, Abraham Lincoln, played by David Lewis as most attractive actor fpr President Lincoln. The movie Lincoln has 12 Oscars nominations now.
    We presume it will get more than 6 Oscar awards this year. Thanks to Academy for showing us such a nice movie which will be remembered for many years to come. Congratulations to Steven Spielberg for his wonderful direction and making of Lincoln for us. Mano

• almeida | January 15, 2013 5:52 PMReply

The only award Lincoln should win is the sham movie of the year award. Lewis was the only thing enjoyable to watch in Lincoln. That is all. The movie itself was poorly executed and relatively uninteresting despite the huge potential it had to be interesting given the subject manner. I'm sick to death of movies based on historical landmark events being given so much attention when the movie was overall poor.

Django Unchained was a very entertaining movie (ironically enough also concerning black slavery as did Lincoln, but presented in a very different manner - not saying this is how I expected Lincoln to be). However, you wouldn't expect a movie with many darkly comic humorous jokes (with no deeper meaning except entertainment) about slavery and violence to win the Oscars. Django is simply one of those movies you sit back and enjoy for wild, crazy entertainment. I'd be surprised if it wins, but not at all disappointed.

Zero Dark Thirty, Amour, Argo and Beasts of the Southern Wild were all well executed films, but nothing too special per se. I'd be very surprised if any of these won.

Les Miserables was pure bliss, although I'm really not a fan of musicals, but I have to admit was a great movie. Life of Pi was extraordinary and the special effects added immensely to a fantastic viewing experience. Silver Linings Playbook executed a heartfelt romantic feel with perfection, something many romantic movies these days fail to do. I would expect any of these 3 to win, but from the bottom of my heart I want SLP: it was the most genuine movie of the year.

• John | January 15, 2013 3:44 PMReply

Okay, lets get real, "NO WAY" Silver Lining Playbook will win best picture. The Academy is in favor of a film that can be both memorable and fit into its agenda of great editing, performances, execution, direction and is able to draw viewers through its commercial campaign success. And which two films have done that so far, both Lincoln and Beasts of the Southern Wild. People as much as you may hate it but in reality both Lincoln and Beasts of the Southern Wild are Oscar material. As soon as you people get that through your thick greasy skull then we all can just move on with our lives.

• tom smith | January 14, 2013 7:58 PMReply

I can't recall a year with more excellent films. but although I loved "Lincoln,""Argo" and "Django," my nod goes to "Life of Pi." Simply enough, a perfect movie, from the lilting score to the surreal cinematography, unbelievably realistic special effects, the astounding acting (how did the no-name teenaged Pi not warrant an academy nod?), and the fascinating story. This film deserves best director, best film, best cinematography, and best screenplay, in addition to best score- athough the others are all close seconds. What's more- there are no zombies, robots, superheroes, or vampires in any of these films!!!!! Praise be the Lord!!!

• Sheldon Gaskell | January 26, 2013 8:12 PM

Totally agree with you. Life of Pi was majestic and the best choice for all the categories you mentioned

• José Cruz Rubio | January 21, 2013 10:29 PM

I agree 100% with you. You can read my opinion in this regard a few comments down on January the 3rd. It is practically the same as yours. Bravo!!!

• Frank May | January 18, 2013 11:53 AM

I can't recall a year with more B-rated films... Not one film is in the "A" category... i.e.. what I call a "must see".

What happened to the Private Ryan, Toy Story, Nemo, Shawshank Redemption, the Fugitive, Chicago and other "A" movies.

2013 is the year of B-blah for Best Picture.

• Nick.Fokias | January 14, 2013 10:23 AMReply

When will film directors realize that making pictures i.e. Argo that "accidentally/incidentally"attempt to legitimize State murder and torture and then defend it as their right to "artistic expression" are simply deluding themselves.My god we may have won the Second World War against Germany but we lost the war against Fascism.I do hope Argo wins nothing and is seeen for what it is- a very poor attempt to legitimize an illegal act of State terror.The trouble is those involved in the production think they're on the side of the "good guys"

• max | January 14, 2013 10:48 PM

I must have missed the scenes your talking about. The movie is very pro america but the movie with torture is zero dark thirty which is pro america but it doesnt say torture is good. The ads are a lie to sell tickets the movie is very dry and just sorta presents things.

• Yummygoody | January 14, 2013 1:19 AMReply