by Peter Knegt
February 17, 2013 11:54 AM

2013 Oscar Predictions: Best Supporting Actress

"Les Miserables."
Indiewire will provide regular updates of our predictions for the 85th Academy Awards through February 24th, when the winners are announced.

One award they will absolutely be giving to "Les Miserables" is best supporting actress. Basically since she was cast in the film people have been screaming Oscar for Anne Hathaway, and thankfully when the film finally came out it quickly became clear their premature assessment was a fair one. Hathaway is widely considered the best thing about the film (even by the many people that don't like it) and has won every award there is to win for it so far.  And while there's definitely been a  backlash toward the actress's seemingly unstoppable march to the Oscar, she's helped by one very important factor: There's really no competition. The only person that seems like a feasible alternative is Sally Field. But Sally Field has already won two Oscars on two nominations... and with Daniel Day-Lewis and possibly Robert DeNiro also set for their third wins this Oscar night, it seems unlikely the third time will be the charm for Field.

Nominees and predictions below. Check out all predictions in all the categories here, and this list of all the Oscar-nominated films available ON DEMAND right now.

The nominees:
Amy Adams in "The Master"
Sally Field in "Lincoln"
Anne Hathaway in "Les Misérables"
Helen Hunt in "The Sessions"
Jacki Weaver in "Silver Linings Playbook"

Will win: Anne Hathaway
Could win: Sally Field
Should win: Amy Adams

Check out all predictions in all the categories here.

Sign up HERE for Indiewire's Awards Season newsletter and receive a twice-weekly email roundup of our awards stories, hand-picked by our editors from across the Indiewire Network, plus additional coverage in the final run up to the Oscars.

• monkeypox6 | April 15, 2013 8:06 PMReply

How I think it should have been:

1. Amy Adams, "The Master"
    2. Ann Dowd, "Compliance"
    3. Sally Field, "Lincoln"*(Runner-up)
    4. Anne Hathaway, "Les Miserables"*(WINNER)
    5. Helen Hunt, "The Sessions"

• Nicole | February 24, 2013 10:24 PMReply

LOUD CLAPPING!!! Kiss it all of you Hathaway Haters!! You all clearly have no soul!

• Film Fan | February 24, 2013 2:41 PMReply

I do think it is funny how people think Anne Hathway will win just for the campaign she is running. It has been pretty obvious that just because you run a good campaign does not mean you will win. Last year was a perfect example. Viola Davis ran an intense and smart campaign that was just rocking it but when it came down to Oscar night Meryl (who ran no campaign) won.

• kitewalkerAd | February 24, 2013 5:15 AMReply

Why doesn't anyone talk about Helen Hunt?! I am not saying that she is going to be the winner but even JackiWeaver has people talking about her. Jacki weaver is not a bad actress but Helen Hunt this year was a bit better this year

• Film Fan | February 24, 2013 2:38 PM

I think because the time just passed. Several months ago when The Sessions first came up and everyone was adoring it Hunt and Hawkes got LOTS of love. It is sad that has died away. She was stunning in it.

• Cindy | February 23, 2013 5:06 PMReply

I think Helen Hunt deserves to win for the Sessions her performance was really very daring she was nude in the film for a lot of it. Also, Hunt gave an emotionally raw and powerful performance. I don't get the Anne Hathaway hype big deal she lost weight and cries a lot in her film. I also don't like Hathaway's pretentious and desperate Oscar campaign I would love for any of the four women to win.

• GERARD KENNELLY | February 23, 2013 1:54 PMReply

ann dowd in COMPLIANCE

• Casey | February 19, 2013 1:43 PMReply

If there was one award where I most want an upset - its here.
    I personally didn't care for Les Mis, or Ms Hathaways performance. It seemed very overacted and a bit awards desperate (as has her campaign).

I do agree with IndieWire - if any of these should win - it is easily Amy Adams in The Master.
    (by the way I love people saying "She wasn't even in the movie!" - well lets look at Hathaway who has about 14 minutes of screen time. Lets look at Weaver with probably only a little more than that. It's a silly comparison. Screen time doesn't matter honestly. Adams did a lot with steely silence - which I prefer over Hathaways over the top performance.)

However I think these nominations are bogus. If it were me the nominations would be:

Amy Adams - The Master
    Ann Dowd - Compliance
    Sally Field - Lincoln
    Gina Gershon - Killer Joe
    Brit Marling - The Soung of My Voice

with Ann Dowd being the winner (she was ROBBED of an oscar nomination)

But as of now I am rooting for Ms. Adams!! A great, surprising performance!

• Will Fraser | February 23, 2013 12:50 AM

Thankfully your opinion doesn't matter

• Flawed | February 16, 2013 2:42 PMReply

Crosetti- I totally agree. Amy Adams should have won for Junebug but this yr's nom was all based on reputation. The Master was damn good but it was a Phoenix/Hoffman show.
    Amy's character just didn't have enough meat.(unless you count facial expressions).
    Oscar would be better served by delving deeper into the list of good movies instead of just piling on the nom's from the same movies. (case in point- Jacki Weaver for SLP)

• Crosetti | February 12, 2013 10:19 AMReply

Adams should win? Why? She's barely in the movie, does nothing of note and hardly has any dialogue. Either I'm missing something or this is yet another pretentious opinion with no merit.

• kamran | February 11, 2013 5:39 AMReply

This category is not suck as much as the lead actress. you can saw some great acting but first what the fuck this jackie thing doing here. i mean did she really is in the movie. just a waste. beside her the 4 are amazing. hunt is sensual and warm. hathaway, to be honest hate the film i was like shut the singing for once and act with talking but her acting is great better than j.hudson, atleast hathway is not depend on singing completely like hudson. field a complete professional legendary actress give spectacular performsance and adams "brilliant and memorable and best of them". for me i think hathway can give u more than that so adams should have win but field acting is oscar worthy

• Cindy | February 6, 2013 6:09 PMReply

Les Mis was an amazing film. I love Anne Hathaway, she one of my favorite actresses in Holly Wood. Anne was far better than Amy when is comes down to performances. However, this Oscar should not go for her because Sally Flied did a better performance in Lincoln. Anne would be second place for me or my silver medal.

• Pippo | February 6, 2013 4:37 PMReply

Seriously, I can understand the Hathaway hate and that's it. But there's no way Adams in The Master is better than her. Adams barely do anything, there. The movie is simply phenomenal, but is not an Adams' show. So goes for Field, except for the Tommy Lee Jones ball scene. But could I call that an Oscar worthy performance? Not. No way guys, that Oscar is Hathaway's. All the «should» it's just given by your love for The Master or your hate for Les Miserables. I hated Les Miserables but loved Anne, worshiped The Master but not impressed by Adams.

• HIMSELF | February 5, 2013 2:28 PMReply

Anne Hathaway was good as Fantine but not oscar-worthing. However I am almost sure she will get it, although Amy Adams was clearly better. My prediction is that Anne will win, cause of her campaign, and the marvellous Amy Adams will lose...AGAIN. Sally Field wont get an oscar in her third nomination as she has won two oscars for her previous 2 nom.

• Film Fan | February 8, 2013 1:50 AM

It is not all in the campaign. Yes it helps but if Anne wins it is because she did an amazing job. Amy Adams was good but not as much compared to her other roles. She should have won for doubt a few years ago.

• Chris | February 3, 2013 10:15 PMReply

I think Anne Hathaway should win, but I'm almost certain she will not.

So my prediction:
    Will win: Amy Adams or Sally Field
    Should win: Anne Hathaway

• Michael | February 3, 2013 5:06 PMReply

LOL @ the pretentious people pretending The Master had any merit, and Amy Adams did anything of note, let alone better than Anne and Sally.

• I agree | February 3, 2013 1:50 PMReply

I just watched The Master yesterday and it was incredible. I wish it was nominated instead of Django Unchained (which to me seemed like unfinished movie and I frankly agree with Spike Lee). I think in each acting category Phoenix, Hoffman, and Adams tops everyone easily.

• Sam | February 3, 2013 12:50 PMReply

Anne Hathaway SHOULD NOT WIN. She is a Amateur girl in TRAINING. She doesn't even know the meaning of acting an what it incorporates.

• ^_^ | February 3, 2013 2:32 AMReply

for me...
    will win: HATHAWAY
    could win : ADAMS or FIELD
    should win : HATHAWAY
    should be on the list : MAGGIE SMITH ( marigold hotel ) replacing WEAVER (SLP)

• Gadhafy | February 1, 2013 12:05 PMReply

Are you "D"ucking HIGH? It's sad that Amy Adams hasn't won an oscar yet, but this is NOT her year. The heartwrenching performance of I dreamed a dream that was given to us from Anne, is nothing but perfection, and will never be topped by any other performance of the same role on a motion picture. THIS is her moment. THIS is her brilliance. THIS is HER award. So stop it with your "She doesn't deserve it" crap. Catwoman, yes, catwoman will take it home, because she DOES deserve it. THE end.

• Are you serious? | February 2, 2013 10:53 PM

She does deserve it. But not for her performance. It's because if she doesn't win she won't shut up afterwards.

• Cindy | February 1, 2013 12:03 AMReply

Anne Hathaway is a amateur girl in training who still has a lot of work to do before winning an Oscar. HOW in the world did she ever got nominated for Les Mis. This makes me believe that acting is no longer taken seriously. Amy Adams, I only hope that voters choose you for best supporting actress.

• Oscar Award Winner Anne Hathaway | January 31, 2013 5:37 PMReply

I deserved it ...

• claudia | January 30, 2013 5:08 PMReply

Anne Hathaway was awful., the only thing that held that terrible adaption of Les Miserables was Hugh Jackman and that says a lot. Don't get me wrong, i enjoyed Anne in the princess diaries when i was 13, she should stick to that unfortunately. Oh and this argument over Natalie portman, black swan was an incredible performance, but you cannot be stupid and think the academy only looks at this one performance, they look at your entire body of films, natalie portman is a sensational actress and there were other movies she deserved the award for. Take Heath Ledger for an example, realistically the performance of his career was in Brokeback Mountain, he should have won for that, but after he died he won for The Dark Knight. He died, think seriously why they would give him the award. Amy Adams is an outstanding character actress, she or Sally Field should win. Anne Hathaway , it is embarrassing an appalling you are receiving credit for this terrible portrayal and acting performance. Anne Hathaway along with Jennifer Lawrence nomination makes me loose all faith in acting and awards. It's almost upsetting.

• nadine | February 20, 2013 6:48 PM

To claudia, if you really think she does not think she deserves to win then you get your head shaved and starve yourself for three days and see if you still think she doesn't deserve it. I think you're wrong she played a grueling role and absolutely deserves to win the oscar she gave the performance of a lifetime.

• Marc | February 2, 2013 7:16 PM

"Anne Hathaway along with Jennifer Lawrence nomination makes me loose all faith in acting and awards. It's almost upsetting."

Exactly! I thought I was the only one who felt this way. How right you are!

• Tanner | January 29, 2013 6:09 PMReply

Anne deserves to win hands down! It is her time and she has been in two incredible movies this past year, The Dark Knight Rises and Les Miserables BOTH that are incredible and have made a statement in movie history. Don't get me wrong I like Amy Adams, but she's been nominated 4 times and still no win...thats something to be said she's a good actor, just that their are better perfomances. Amy's time will come soon and I mean very soon it's just that she has to find that one role where she is absolutley brilliant in, it will come very shortly just, not, this year.

• JJ | February 5, 2013 1:27 PM

I agree. Amy Adams is scheduled to play Janis Joplin and for me that sounds like oscar role even though we haven't seen it yet....

• Lizzie | January 23, 2013 11:35 PMReply

Can't believe Anne Hathaway is going to take home an Oscar. In everything she does you are constantly aware that Hathaway is 'ACTING' and is making acting choices instead of just being the character. I have seen Les Mis and I don't get what the fuss is all about - she was good. That's it. She wasn't believable as Fantine. I'm hoping her obvious anticipation and annoying Globes appearance will turn some Academy voters off.

• Tim | January 24, 2013 9:08 AM

Agree. I thought she was good but what she did at the Globes was bad. Interrupting the director or whoever and she already got her chance to speak. Her fake modesty is annoying.

• Juana la ranchera | January 20, 2013 10:40 PMReply

I agree about the should win, Amy Adams ftw. However, as you said, Anne has it in the back. It's not like she doesn't deserve it, but I just hate when the most popular actress wins. (Looking at you, Natalie P)

• Tim | January 24, 2013 9:10 AM

Anne Hatheway is pulling the Natalie Portman. Constant PR campaiging for her Oscar. Its pathetic and lame. Remember Natalie Portman did this two years ago and it annoyed everyone?
    Yes I agree Annette Bening was much better.

• Lizzie | January 23, 2013 11:31 PM

@DD. - Annette Bening deserved it over Portman.

• William | January 21, 2013 7:03 PM

Are you high! Natalie Portman was so brilliant in black swan. She won almost every award there was that year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• DD. | January 21, 2013 4:00 AM

Lol, who deserved it over Portman? and please don't say Jennifer Lawrence...

• riel | January 19, 2013 11:17 PMReply

I don't get how people can say Anne shouldn't win. Have you watched the film??????!!!!

• Seraphine Flores | January 31, 2013 10:23 AM

Yes. And I was so blown out by her exaggerated performance, she numbed me to the point, that I couldn't wait for her to get off the screen. And I'm a big fan of Anne Hathaway.....I was very disappointed.

• Krystle Hrbacek | January 17, 2013 4:14 AMReply

I voted Anne Hathaway at frinzee.com because she is so amazing!, The website frinzee is so cool and fun. You can predict, battle and win.

• Adventurer | January 17, 2013 7:55 PM

got frinzee points but not enough to reach to top rankings. better be careful in casting votes.

• CJ | January 16, 2013 12:47 AMReply

Okay people: saying "Anne Hathaway doesn't deserve it" doesn't mean anything! GIVE IT UP!! She is going to win, it is no longer a race.
    And she totally deserves to win! One of the most wonderful performances I have ever seen!

And also I'm very confused with the "should win" category. I dont think you people at indiewire can tell us that. Just my thoughts. Id prefer predictions, minus the opinion.

• Will | January 15, 2013 11:10 PMReply

Sally Field was unsuccessfully nominated for Best Supporting Actress 1994 for "Forrest Gump."

• Mano | January 15, 2013 7:55 PMReply

The best supporting actress award will be given to Sally Field in Lincoln as wife of Lincoln who
    showed us wonderful image and dresses, very attractive personality of Mrs. Lincoln who talked impressively with American people, excellent dialogues, best historical image ofcourse. Good LUCK to Sally Field for an Oscar 2013 for Mrs. Lincoln.

• Hannah | January 15, 2013 3:18 PMReply

1. Field, 2.Hunt, 3. Weaver, 4. Adams, 5. Hathaway :)

• Ariel | January 17, 2013 3:20 AM

1. Hathaway 2. Adams 3. Hunt 4. Field 5. Weaver :)

• Ariel | January 17, 2013 3:20 AM

1. Hathaway 2. Adams 3. Hunt 4. Field 5. Weaver :)

• Ariel | January 17, 2013 3:19 AM

1. Hathaway 2. Adams 3. Hunt 4. Field 5. Weaver :)

• Ariel | January 17, 2013 3:18 AM

1. Hathaway 2. Adams 3. Hunt 4. Field 5. Weaver :)

• Ignatius Albert | January 15, 2013 12:29 PMReply

No one would have predicted a nomination for Jacki Weaver. She was seen as a very long shot, and Weaver herself admitted to being surprised upon hearing her nomination. No disrespect to her, but I think she somewhat rides on the general success of Silver Linings Playbook and her fellow cast members (Cooper, Lawrence & De Niro).
    Nonetheless, with her getting a nod, SLP becomes the first movie since Reds in 1981 to be nominated in all 4 acting categories. A pretty memorable achievement.
    At this moment, Anne Hathaway should win it. I think only Sally Field in Lincoln can stop her seemingly unstoppable force now. It will be a major upset if she Hathaway does not win the Oscar.

• onelove | January 14, 2013 2:48 PMReply

Anne Hathaway does not deserve to win best supporting actress... First of all, look at the list of great supporting roles such as Helen Hunt and Sally Field which by all standards are better actresses and have perfect execution on their performances rather than Anne Hathaway... People you can not give an award to Anne Hathaway because you favor her over the others.... I hope the Academy Awards choose the best either Hunt or Field and not pick that "Some What Good" amateur girl Anne Hathaway...

• Hebe | January 14, 2013 6:27 AMReply

1st Anne Hathaway,
    2nd Amy Adams,
    3rd Sally Field,
    4th Helen Hunt,
    5th Jacki Weaver

• Cinema | January 12, 2013 10:49 PMReply

I would bet all kinds of money on the fact Hathaway will win this. She is a force at this point and with all the nominations and wins she is picking up along with the great campaign she is running, this is all her. It is like years past with Plummer, Waltz and Octavia Spencer just a total lock.

• Kary | January 11, 2013 11:19 AMReply

sad because Nicole didn't get the nomination... I think Amy Adams is a good actress but in this one is overrated... in fact, I think Helen Hunt did it better in the Sessions... Anyway, Anne Hathaway will win this year!!! Plus, I'm happy Judi Dench didn't get the nomination, that would have been very unfair

• Ariel | January 10, 2013 11:21 PMReply

I think it will be Anne or Amy!

• leo | January 10, 2013 6:21 PMReply

I have a feeling Amy Adams will win it. I saw both the Master and Les Miserables, and Amy is definatly the better actress.

• Ariel | January 10, 2013 8:58 AMReply

Just heard the nomination!
    1. Anne Hathaway in Les Miserables
    2. Amy Adam in The Master
    3. Helen Hunt in The Sessions
    4. Sally Field in Lincoln
    and
    5. Jacki Weaver in Silver Linings Playbook
    So surprised for the Jacki Weaver!

• Martin | January 10, 2013 7:10 AMReply

Check out my final predictions for Best Sup. Actress at http://www.mondoglam.com/2013/01/camino-al-oscar-2013-predicciones.html

• Hebe | January 10, 2013 3:16 AMReply

The nominees are:
    Amy Adams in The Master, Sally Field in Lincoln, Anne Hathaway in Les Miserables, Helen Hunt in The Sessions and Nicole Kidman in The Paperboy!
    ...
    And the Oscar goes to:
    Anne Hathaway in Les Miserables!

• Rael | January 10, 2013 2:31 AMReply

I'm going for Amy Adams, Sally Field, Helen Hunt, Nicole Kidman and Anne Hathaway. Ann Dowd and Judi Dench are my spoilers.

I really like Anne to win but Nicole Kidman swept me away, recently watched her movie. She dominates it and her counterparts, and at the end died.

• Mel | January 9, 2013 9:30 PMReply

It seems like any time someone loses 20 pounds for a movie, or shaves a head they're seen as a revelation. Give me a break. I'd love to see Kelly Reily or Jennifer Ehle get a nom.

• Emma M. | January 9, 2013 3:41 PMReply

Samantha Barks definitely deserves a nomination for her role as Eponine. Her singing and acting were absolutely outstanding. Anne was great, but in my opinion, Samantha stole the show.

• Ariel | January 10, 2013 3:13 AM

We think Anne stole the show over Samantha!

• Jay | January 8, 2013 9:50 PMReply

Samantha Berks. Anne was good but nowhere near her.

• Ariel | January 10, 2013 3:12 AM

This is about acting...not singing! In singing maybe Samantha was better...but acting no way!

• Ryan | January 9, 2013 10:54 AM

Who you kidding Anne was better

• Marie | January 8, 2013 10:42 AMReply

Now Nicole is number 6? Why? I don't think Judi Dench deserves that nomination, I mean, she has been doing this character like forever. Nicole did an amazing job in The Paperboy, I wish she wins but I'm not sure if she will... because everyone wants Hathaway for the win!!!

• Ariel | January 10, 2013 3:11 AM

Nicole just a screen stealer...but Anne does a wonderful acting job!

• Rael | January 10, 2013 2:58 AM

Anne is the favorite this year but in terms of performance, i think Nicole is far more deserving...scene stealer in every way.

• CJ | January 8, 2013 12:41 AMReply

Even though I have only seen Les Miz, I still feel comfortable saying that Anne Hathaway totally deserves it! And Samantha Barks was incredible! Inwent in expecting Anne to be awesome (which she totally was), but wasnt expecting so much from Barks! She took what easily could have been a very forgettable background role and turned it into something beautiful, and boy, she can sing!! And both Helena Binham Carter and Amanda Seyfried were very good aswell. Seyfried was a lot better than I expected, and Bonham Carter portrayed her normal sacked out self amazingly again. Hugh Jackman was also incredible, but the females in general were the stars for me. (Crowe, Redmayne, and Baron Cohen were all good, but less fantastic, although I wouldn't be dissapointed if any of them got nods either). Go LES MIZ!!!

• Ryan | January 9, 2013 10:57 AM

Anne was so much better.

• Emma | January 7, 2013 4:43 PMReply

Well we all know this isn't going to happen but Samantha Barks deserves it SO much more than Anne Hathaway... I though Anne Hathaway was good but not on the level on Samantha Barks.

• Ariel | January 10, 2013 3:10 AM

• Hannah | January 7, 2013 2:31 PMReply

I've finally seen "Les miserables". What a dreadful movie (and I'm a lover of musicals... GOOD musicals: The Sound of Music, Chicago, Mary Poppins, Cabaret, Grease, Hairspray...). The acting was just OK or really plain bad. Terrible XFs and artistic direction (underground compared to Zero Dark Thirty). Everything felt so false and artificial... I couldn't find a single genuine emotion in that film, it was a soap opera. And I don't get the fuss about Hathaway's performance, she was as meciocre as everyone else... or even worse. Amanda Seyfield, Samantha Barks or Helena Boham-Carter were way better than her (of course Hugh Jackman was the best performance overall). Hathaway is not in the level of some other winning musical performances at all (Julie Andrews - Mary Poppins, Catherine Zeta-Jones - Chicago, Jennifer Hudson - Dreamgirls). To even compare her performance with that ones is an aberration. My top 5 is: 1. Sally Field, 2. Helen Hunt, 3. Nicole Kidman, 4. Judi Dench, 5. Amy Adams.

• Seraphine Flores | January 31, 2013 10:41 AM

I completely agree with you. I'm also a fan of musicals. But this rendition of Les Miserables, with its over the top drama, had me so numbed out, I couldn't feel anything....except for Hugh Jackman' s, Eddie Redmayne' s, and Samantha Bark' s performances, which I did feel had some true inner depth, and were noteworthy. Still, I couldn't wait for this movie to be over! I was thinking of walking out at one point, which I never do, as I am a fan of all film making, and like to see things through to the end. But with this film in particular, I almost didn't make it....except for a few "bathroom breaks", which I totally didn't mind this time around....And in fact, happily, took as many as my little heart desired! :D

• Ariel | January 10, 2013 3:09 AM

What? Although Anne is not good as Julie, Catherine and Jennifer, she's better than all your top 5!

• Ariel | January 7, 2013 5:32 AMReply

1. Anne Hathaway 2. Amy Adams 3. Nicole Kidman 4. Helen Hunt 5. Sally Field

• ^_^ | January 7, 2013 4:16 AMReply

WHY PEOPLE WANT JUDI DENCH TO TAKE HER OUT FROM THE TOP 5????? I KNOW ANNE HATHAWAY SHOULD WIN THE OSCARS AND JUDI DENCH ALSO HAS A GREAT PERFORMANCE IN SKYFALL....AND I CALLED IT GREAT BECAUSE SHE ACTS NORMALLY.... BUT I DID'NT SAY THAT SOME ACTRESSES HAS OVERREACTED IN THEIR FILMS... I KNOW JUDI CANNOT PLAY THE ROLE OF ANNE BUT CAN ANNE PLAY THE ROLE OF JUDI????? JUST A SIMPLE QUESTION...... AND FOR ME.... THE GREAT SUPPORTING ACTRESSES THIS YEAR: 1. ANNE HATHAWAY 2. MAGGIE SMITH 3. JUDI DENCH 4. NICOLE KIDMAN 5. HELENA BONHAM CARTER .. ;-))

• ^_^ | January 7, 2013 4:18 AM

*OVERACTED* i mean not OVERREACTED... sorry :-)

• mag | January 6, 2013 5:55 PMReply

why is nicole kidman at the sixth position when she was fifth till yesterday?she truly deserves this nomination!

• James K | January 6, 2013 4:06 PMReply

Hathaway, if anyone, is a lock. I hope she's picked out a spot in her house for her first and probably not last Academy Award. Oh, there a 4 other people? Oops... Field, Hunt, Adams and Kidman. This category seems locked up to me, but I guess Dench could come down and swipe Kidman's nod.

• matt | January 6, 2013 5:42 AMReply

judi dench?????why?

• Sean McKinley | January 6, 2013 4:05 AMReply

I would love to see Jennifer Ehle nominated. She was absolutely wonderful in Zero Dark Thirty. In all honesty, Sally Field wasn't a right fit for Lincoln. The Oscar will probably go to Hathaway, let's face it. Surprises are dead in the Academy anymore.

• GERARD KENNELLY | January 5, 2013 10:43 PMReply

GREAT EXPECTATIONS ... helena bonham carter

• Ranila | January 5, 2013 7:37 PMReply

I like Anne Hatheway but I didn't see anything special about her acting. She is campaigning for her Oscar non-stop like Natalie Portman. Which is a shame. You don't see the other actresses who are good in their roles, if not even better doing non-stop promotion like her. If she gets an oscar, it will like this years Natalie Portman.

• Ariel | January 10, 2013 9:03 AM

Oh! I am so sorry! Sorry for calling you a dumb! I didn't read your comment correctly...sorry!~

• Ranila | January 8, 2013 9:48 PM

Ariel-Calling me dumb for my opinion? I never said they were bad actresses. Idiot. All I said was I didn't see anything special about her acting. She is campagining non-stop like how Natalie Portman did. I never said Natalie was a bad actress either. Sure you know about acting. You must teach at Julliard I guess?

• Ariel | January 6, 2013 1:12 AM

Are you a dumb? Natalie Portman's Black Swan performance can be described as perfect! Everybody think that was amazing! Until now when I ask my friend who do you think the best of the Oscar winning Best Actress...they would say Natalie Portman! That was just unforgettable! Anne's performance in Les Miserables was also almost perfect! If you don't like their performance, I think you just don't know anything about acting and you don't respect good actor!

• David | January 5, 2013 5:23 PMReply

Not even Kelly Reilly? She did amazing too, she had a strong performance and a good character arc and probably one of the characters that didn't get on my nerves in the movie. I hope she's considered for a nomination at least. I don't see how Judi Dench is even in there, she's played that role so many times, Skyfall was no different, take her out! And put Samantha Barks in. Amy Adams performance was strong but not worthy of a win to me. Sally Field did an okay Mary T. Lincoln. Anne Hathaway stood out most amongst these actresses that deserve a win. She sang her heart out and applied so much emotion and context to each lyric, she went through physical transformation by getting severely skinny and chopping off her hair, only has 20 mins of screen time but that movie and the story develops more because of her. If you really look at it, she is the heart of the story. She was the best part and I can tell you this much I saw Les Miserables twice already and I can tell you a lot of people were in awe or were crying for her. I was so blown away by her performance. She has all the right necessities for a win and she did amazing work in The Dark Knight Rises and stole the show in that too. She is destined to win! She HAS to win! No questions asked.

• Steve | January 4, 2013 7:58 PMReply

How is Samantha Barks not on here? First, they almost give her role to Taylor Swift (vomit) and then she is snubbed by Amy Adams performance in The Master? I'm sorry; I am a fan of Amy Adams but that role was so unoriginal and took very minimal effort. What makes someone worthy of winning an Oscar is if they play a role so well that you truly believe no one else could play it. Samantha Barks did that. Amy Adams' role could have been played by any one and it wouldn't have changed the film at all.

• Sean | January 3, 2013 4:57 PMReply