by Peter Knegt
February 16, 2013 4:11 PM

2013 Oscar Predictions: Best Visual Effects

"Life of Pi." Fox
Indiewire will provide regular updates of our predictions for the 85th Academy Awards through February 24th, when the winners are announced.

The best visual effects Oscar is most definitely "Life of Pi"'s to lose, with "The Hobbit" the potential spoiler (though that's highly unlikely).

Nominees and predictions below. Check out all predictions in all the categories here, and this list of all the Oscar-nominated films available ON DEMAND right now.

The nominees:
"The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey"
Joe Letteri, Eric Saindon, David Clayton and R. Christopher White
"Life of Pi"
Bill Westenhofer, Guillaume Rocheron, Erik-Jan De Boer and Donald R. Elliott
"Marvel's The Avengers"
Janek Sirrs, Jeff White, Guy Williams and Dan Sudick
"Prometheus"
Richard Stammers, Trevor Wood, Charley Henley and Martin Hill
"Snow White and the Huntsman"
Cedric Nicolas-Troyan, Philip Brennan, Neil Corbould and Michael Dawson

Will win: "Life of Pi"
Could win: "The Hobbit"
Should win: "Life of Pi"

Check out all predictions in all the categories here.

Sign up HERE for Indiewire's Awards Season newsletter and receive a twice-weekly email roundup of our awards stories, hand-picked by our editors from across the Indiewire Network, plus additional coverage in the final run up to the Oscars.

• monkeypox6 | April 18, 2013 6:30 PMReply

How i think it should have been:

1. John Frazier, Jerome Chen, Kevin Kolodinsky & Jim Rygiel, "The Amazing Spider-Man"
    2. Chris Corbould, Peter Bebb, Paul Franklin & Andrew Lockley, "The Dark Knight Rises"
    3. Joe Letteri, Eric Saindon, David Clayton & R. Christopher White, "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey"*(Runner-up)
    4. Bill Westenhofer, Guillame Rocheron, Erik-Jan de Boer & Donald R. Elliot, "Life of Pi"*(WINNER)
    5. Richard Stammers, Trevor Wood, Charley Henley and Martin Hill, "Prometheus"

• Preetty Cammy | February 19, 2013 3:37 AMReply

sure it is life of pi! but i saw most of the people voted The Avengers in Frinzee.. Hmmmm why is that so?

• DEEa | February 1, 2013 12:08 PMReply

Life of Pi for sure!

• eduardo | January 31, 2013 8:23 AMReply

Marvel's The Avengers should win in my opinion. Just look to New York all created from nothing. When I first watched the movie, I thought they have shot images from a top of a building or anything from the air, but instead, the FX team created the entire city in CG. Not to mention the Hulk, the helicarrier, the Black Widow and other things I couldn't believe to be so real. The film was shot almost from a Chroma Key, including scenes that usually are filmed with artists in first place, and then added something with CGI. The scene where the Hulk is chasing the Black Widow for example, not even the actress is real.

Um olá especial ao pessoal no Brasil! (A especial hello to Brazilian folks!)

• Freddy Rico | January 22, 2013 2:29 AMReply

no. 1 "The Avenger" in FRINZEE

• blake12 | February 19, 2013 3:38 AM

yep. saw that, maybe it will win? but who knows?

• sdfdfdssdk | January 12, 2013 8:26 PMReply

Sunglass $12

COACH Necklace $18

handbag $33

Porsche Boutique Shoes $60

====( http://www.netetrader.net ) =====

• ^_^ | January 10, 2013 4:42 AMReply

WHY NOBODY SEE THE GREAT VISUAL EFFECTS OF SKYFALL???? THE CRUSHED TRAIN SCENE IN SKYFALL JUST BLOWN ME AWAY AND ALSO THE SCENE WHERE THE HELICOPTER CRUSHED IN A MANSION:-)) I THOUGHT IT WAS ALL REAL :-) I HOPE SKYFALL WILL BE NOMINATED AND WIN :-)

• ^_^ | January 10, 2013 4:42 AMReply

• Vick | January 9, 2013 1:15 AMReply

Of all the male responses I agree with Anthony...being female I hate all the CG fluff, the shoot em up, blow em up, more than a cup of blood stuff....where's the meat? I have seen the trilogy and quite honestly I liked the beginning of "The Hobbit" but fell asleep near the end. There was just way too much of the same ole, same ole, blow em up, shoot em up, kill, kill, kill stuff. It was just more of the trilogy. Now "The Life of Pi" had substance to it. Something you came away from the movie making you put your thinking cap on....very well presented and very well told. The only thing that carried "The Hobbit" was the fluff. So my vote is for "The Life of Pi", "The Hobbit" and so on.

• Martin | January 8, 2013 8:52 AMReply

Check out my predictions for the visual categories at http://www.mondoglam.com/2013/01/predicciones-al-oscar-2013-dos-dias.html

• Erik | January 7, 2013 1:35 AMReply

It'll be The Hobbit for sure but I wouldn't be surprised if the Academy gave the award to Life of Pi. The animals and the ocean effects are amazing. But The Hobbit had more and better (Gollum) effects.

• John | January 6, 2013 5:23 PMReply

Even to this very moment I cannot understand everyone's infatuation with the visuals in Life of Pi. Now, GRANTED, I haven't seen the film, but I have seen the trailers countless times, and damn if that tiger doesn't look fake. That's what everyone is amazed by, right? The animals and the tiger and stuff, right? The texture of the fur and visual clarity is great, sure, but based upon the nuances of the tiger's animated movements, I mean, I never once thought that perhaps that tiger might be real. It is, in my opinion, clearly a CG tiger. Now, again, I haven't seen the film. But I believe the trailers are enough, in this case, to make this judgement.

However, the showcased CG in the Hobbit is, in my opinion, the most incredible and believable CG I've probably ever seen, especially in the 48 fps/3D format. Gollum looks absolutely real. Not just the texture of his skin, hair, etc, but every small, slight nuance of his movements looks completely and absolutely real. There's no need to suspend your disbelief. Gollum is a real actor, right there on set. It is impossible to believe otherwise when viewing his CG performance. The same goes for the Goblin King, or the Trolls, or ESPECIALLY Smaug's eye at the end. Unbelievable and unsurpassed CG. Other CG creatures like the wargs, or the rabbits, or other less significant creatures aren't quite as impressive, but still look just as good as anything else out this year. There are a few shots here and there that look strange, and obviously CG (like the Radagast chase scene), but, again, it's completely forgivable when you see Gollum in action. Oh, and how about the seamless shot compositing of different sized characters, like Gandalf, the dwarves, and Bilbo? Totally seamless. But, I guess not everyone was impressed with all this as I was. What a world, eh?

• ABM | January 12, 2013 3:20 AM

So, you're comparing Life of Pi and Hobbit by, seeing just LOP's trailer but Hobbit in full HFR/3d glory? Doesn't that feel a tiny bit unfair? What the movie dude, perhaps your opinion about LOP will change. :)

• James K | January 6, 2013 4:22 PMReply

Your predictions are probably correct, and probably in that order as well. I would LOVE for The Dark Knight Rises, The Avengers or Snow White and the Huntsman to win, but Life of Pi probably is the most deserving. Those animals and the realism of those effects have not been surpassed before. What incredible work. An amazing year too.

• ^_^ | January 1, 2013 6:38 PMReply

SKYFALL has a great VISUAL EFFECTS this year... and my TOP 3 are:

1.SKYFALL
    2. LIFE OF PI
    3. THE AVENGERS

• Brett | December 16, 2012 2:32 PMReply

It would be cool to see Prometheus win however Life of Pi is probably more deserving.

• bob | December 15, 2012 11:17 PMReply

probably the most predictable category: Life of Pi

• Josep | December 15, 2012 5:55 PMReply

I really misns The Impossible, had never seen such great job...

• Bob | December 5, 2012 6:33 PMReply

Th current top 5 is how I predict it will be(Life of Pi,Hobbit,Prometheus,Cloud Atlas,The Avengers). The only possible spoiler imho is The Dark Knight Rises, taking the place of either Prometheus or Cloud Atlas.

• Bob | December 5, 2012 6:35 PM

Oh, and I would be completely shocked if Life of Pi doesn't win.

• ^_^ | December 1, 2012 2:30 AMReply

IT IS HARD TO PREDICT ABOUT WHAT FILM WILL WIN BEST IN VISUAL EFFECTS BUT I GIVE: AVENGERS A 50% BECAUSE OF WHAT HAPPEN IN PREVIOUS OSCARS THAT TRANSFORMERS WAS PREDICTED TO WIN BUT IT GOES TO HUGO THAT SOME PEOPLE DID NOT EXPECT....^_^

• BOO | December 29, 2012 11:32 AM

AND TRANSFORMERS WAS NOT EXPECTED TO WIN, RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES WAS

• BOO | December 11, 2012 9:56 AM

WELL THAT MAY BE, BUT LAST YEAR THERE WAS NO, "OH MY GOD THIS MOVIE IS A VISUAL ACHIEVEMENT," AND THIS YEAR WE HAVE LIFE OF PI AND SO THAT WILL MOST CERTAINLY WIN AND NOT THE AVENGERS.

• Anthony | November 30, 2012 12:03 PMReply

Some great work in all of the above mentioned finalists. Life of Pi used Visual Effects as a storytelling tool, enhancing the audience's viewing experience. This is really what these effects should be used for, not mere visual fluff as we see in some projects nowadays.

Prometheus deserves a lot of kudos and respect in this category. In the age where so much is CGI, the filmmakers decided to use many, many PRACTICAL effects for this project. The film avoids the glossy, even plastic-like appearance of so many CGI-heavy films today. The scenes are so seemless that often one can't tell whether the effects are either Practical or CGI - and only a few VFX titans such as Jurassic Park can claim this achievement.

• http://www.globalmarket.name | November 30, 2012 4:34 AMReply

very good website:

===== http://www.globalmarket.name// =====

The website wholesale for many kinds of fashion shoes, like the nike, jordan, prada, also including the jeans, shirts, bags, hat and the decorations.

WE ACCEPT CREDIT CARD /WESTERN UNION PAYMENT
    YOU MUST NOT MISS IT!!!

• Robert | November 21, 2012 11:04 AMReply

The Avengers and The Dark Knight Rises NEED to be on this list. And Prometheus is being overlooked, too. My five.
    1. Life of Pi
    2. The Hobbit
    3. The Avengers
    4. Prometheus
    5. The Dark Knight Rises

• Zane | November 18, 2012 10:12 PMReply

Easy Avengers, Prometheus, The Dark Knight Rises, The Amazing Spider-Man, Men In Black 3

• BOO | November 20, 2012 7:02 PM

No Life of Pi will win and you don't even put it on there. That's wrong.

• Cody | November 2, 2012 10:55 AMReply

I think Ted actually had very believable visual
    Effects on the bear, it has my pick.

• Reader | October 26, 2012 5:09 AMReply

Wow, I think Prometheus should be No. 1 on the list.

• hilly | October 29, 2012 5:48 PM

Sorry my preciousss, but i will win, yessss, it is mine, my own...

• Joe | October 16, 2012 8:49 AMReply

The visual effects for Prometheus were as good as Avatar. Prometheus should at least be in the top 5.

• david | January 2, 2013 3:20 AM

totally agree

• Sam | October 15, 2012 1:06 AMReply

You should promote the quality too. Like "Rust & Bone" in which you can see Marion Cotillard legless swimming, being carried, having sex... It's unbelievably realistic and for once the quality would be rewarded over the mess we can see in some blockbuster. The quantity play a major role but honestly when you go see The Avengers for example and then "Rust & Bone", you will be more impressed with seeing an amputee academy award winner appearing on screen doing a lot of "normal" things rather than watching Loki using some kind of weird magic. It's very much Déja-vu.