by Peter Knegt
February 16, 2014 3:27 PM

2014 BAFTA Award Winners

"Gravity"
The 67th British Academy Film Awards were handed out tonight London, with Steve McQueen's "12 Years a Slave" winning best film but Alfonso Cuarón's "Gravity" leading the pack overall, taking 6 -- best director, best score, best visual effects, best cinematography, best sound and best British film (the latter a designation more than a few questioned).

"12 Years" didn't win anything until the very end, which had many suspecting a potential slump as the BAFTAs wore on. But then Chiwetel Ejiofor won best actor, and the film snuck past "Gravity" and "American Hustle" to take the top prize as well. But it was snubbed for best adapted screenplay (which went to "Philomena") and best supporting actress (which went to Jennifer Lawrence, one of three prizes for "American Hustle"), both trophies most expected "12 Years" to win.

Other major winners included Cate Blanchett for best actress (potentially the only acting win to crossover with Oscar here) and Barkhad Abdi for best supporting actor, probably the night's biggest surprise. "The Great Gatsby" took home a pair of artistic awards, while "Frozen," "The Great Beauty" and "The Act of Killing" won animated feature, foreign film and documentary feature, respectively.

Full list of winners:

Best Production Design: The Great Gatsby
Best Costumes: The Great Gatsby
Best Short Film: Room 8
Best Animated Short: Sleeping With The Fishes
BAFTA Rising Star Award: Will Poulter

• Boo Radley | February 17, 2014 8:14 AMReply

Glad Jennifer Lawrence won. Good for Gravity as well...in fact, I'm happy with all the winners.

• JenniferNo | February 17, 2014 7:36 AMReply

That Oscar better be Lupita Nyong'os, a 30 second clip of her in the film brings a tear to my eye. A clip of Lawrence, and I just think oh wow you danced around, cool.

• filmloverladyeo | February 16, 2014 5:05 PMReply

I really must have missed something in "Gravity". Maybe it floated past me? I suppose I can see best special effects and technical awards. Simulating weightlessness may be difficult if not novel. But best film? The story was unimaginative and the moral was sophomoric. Just a real disappointment with lots of pretty bells and whistles. Left me "wanting more" in a bad way.

"Philomena" -best adopted screenplay. Cute but so uninspired. Do the judges have to also read the original work?

"Great Gatsby" actually won two awards! Yikes, an experiment that just didn't work on ANY level.

Happy about "12 Years A Slave" and congrats to Mr. Ejiofor. Well deserved.

• Indiewire Fact Checker | February 16, 2014 4:43 PMReply

"Barkhad Abdi for best supporting actress, possibly the night's biggest surprise."

Well, I'll say!

• Edkargir | February 16, 2014 4:25 PMReply

Philomena winning best adapted screenplay over 12 Years a slave is ridiculous.

• M. | February 16, 2014 4:25 PMReply

WooHoo!!....Go Jennifer Lawrence!!. Finally!!...this Oscar race has become interesting !!.

• Nora | February 16, 2014 4:16 PMReply

Am I the only one not appreciating American Hustle's scenario ?
    The movie is entertaining, but I never could believe the FBI crass incompetence and the politician saintly naivety. It made me disconnect.
    How Bradley Cooper's character didn't lose 100 times his job is beyond me.
    I just don't get why all critics are fawning over this ludicrous script.
    That said, I respect the actors involved in the film.

• Klamentyne | February 16, 2014 5:00 PM

oh no! u got company in that department!

• Shoes | February 16, 2014 3:59 PMReply

Yay
    Jennifer lawrence!

• Steven Ball | February 16, 2014 5:41 PM

In a movie full of good actors Jennifer Lawrence stole every scene she was in. She should be adding another Oscar to her collection of awards soon.