by Indiewire
January 12, 2014 9:00 PM

'12 Years' and 'American Hustle' Lead 2014 Golden Globe Award Winners

The 71st Annual Golden Globe Awards were handed out tonight in Los Angeles, with Steve McQueen's "12 Years a Slave" and David O. Russell's "American Hustle" taking the top prizes in the film categories.

On the TV end, NBC's "Brooklyn Nine Nine," HBO's "Behind The Candelabra" and AMC's "Breaking Bad" each took home two trophies, while Golden Globes co-host Amy Poehler won her first Globe for best actress for "Parks and Recreation."

Full list of winners:

Frozen

BEST SCREENPLAY
Spike Jonze, Her

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE
Alex Ebert, All Is Lost

BEST ORIGINAL SONG
"Ordinary Love" (Mandela: Long Walk To Freedom)

Television

Best Performance by an Actor In A Television Series - Comedy Or Musical
Andy Samberg, Brooklyn Nine Nine

Best Performance by an Actor in a Television Series - Drama
Bryan Cranston, Breaking Bad

Best Performance by an Actress In A Television Series - Drama
Robin Wright, House of Cards

Best Performance by an Actor in a Mini-Series or a Motion Picture Made for Television
Michael Douglas, Behind The Candelabra

Best Performance by an Actress in a Mini-Series or a Motion Picture Made for Television
Elizabeth Moss, Top of the Lake

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Series, Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for Television
Jacqueline Bisset, Dancing On The Edge

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Series, Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for Television
Jon Voight, Ray Donovan

Sign up HERE for Indiewire's Awards Season newsletter and receive a twice-weekly email roundup of our awards stories, hand-picked by our editors from across the Indiewire Network, plus additional coverage in the final run up to the Oscars.

• C. | January 13, 2014 11:52 AMReply

Lupita is "12 Years a Slave" heart. "12 Years", the best movie. I believe that Jennifer Lawrence only won, just because she is (the popular) Jennifer Lawrence. =(

• Marley | January 13, 2014 8:49 AMReply

This is why I don't watch award shows, its a popularity contest for the most part. Lupita was snubbed! I saw both films, and I wasn't blow away by American Hustle, it dragged during several moments in the film, it was predictable, and out of all the performances, Jennifer's was the least memorable, she felt out of place to me. Now Amy deserved the award hands down, but this time it just shows how much Hollywood has a hard on for Jennifer Lawrence.

• Daniel Delago | January 13, 2014 6:29 AMReply

'12 Years a Slave' almost got completely snubbed and shut out last night at the Golden Globes. Glad Spike Jonze won Best Screenplay for 'Her.' His writing style has that Charlie Kaufman tone to it and that made the film so unique and transcending. I also liked Amy Adams thank you speech and she sums up why David O. Russell is such a gifted writer, "David, you write such amazing roles for women." And that's precisely why A-Listers such as Amy Adams (The Fighter) and Jennifer Lawrence (Silver Linings Playbook) keep coming back to work for him.

• Sydney | January 13, 2014 1:16 AMReply

ICFFF.org CrowdFunding Film Society brings together artists, filmmakers, Musicians and video game creators to meet, participate in project to get funded to share crowdfunding filmmaking success Ideas. Join us in these great cities: Los Angeles | San Francisco | New York | Toronto | London | Vancouver http://icfff.org/

• Harry | January 13, 2014 12:30 AMReply

HORRIBLE WINNERS AMERICAN HUSTLE, THE RIDICULOUS MOVIE OF MISOGYNIST DAVID O. RUSSELL GOT 3 AWARDS WHEN IT IS THE MOST STUPID AND BORING MOVIE OF 2013. I HATE THE SELL OUT OF HFPA IS.
    LUPITA NYONG'O IS THE BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS OF SEASON AND EJIOFOR IN LEAD AND WHO CAN'T SEE IT SO DOESN'T KNOW ABOUT CINEMA.
    THE ACADEMY MUST REWARD LUPITA AND EJIOFOR AND ALL TO 12 YEARS A SLAVE, THAT IS GOOD TASTE, YOU GOT IT PATHETIC HFPA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Murphy | January 13, 2014 8:22 AM

To Bob: I want to take a picture of your comment, put it in a frame, and hang it on my wall. I couldn't have said it better myself. Good job sir.

• Bob | January 13, 2014 3:34 AM

Any vague argument you had was immediately discredited by your unnecessary use of caps. In any case, American Hustle was not stupid or boring, and whilst not my pick of the year for best movie, certainly deserved the best supporting actress win for Jennifer Lawrence. She was electric. And I think both Matthew and Leo deserved their wins as well. 12 Years a Slave, whilst quite a good film, to me is your generic patriotic American film that we get every year, if it's not slavery then it's the civil war, or Afghanistan, or Iraq. You need to calm down and stop being so judgmental, everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I think it's pretty pathetic of you to claim that those who don't think Ejiofer and Nyongo should win "don't know about cinema".

• Harry | January 13, 2014 12:29 AMReply

• Murphy | January 13, 2014 8:21 AM

• Juan | January 12, 2014 11:42 PMReply

I think that the best supporting actress category is one to watch!
    I think both Jennifer and Lupita are very deserving of every award that's coming their way and wouldn't mind any of them winning. I feel like people think Lupita is more deserving because her performance its more emotional, and thats not an easy task. But theres no denying that Jennifer gave life to character that on paper doesnt feel like a big deal, I feel like she did a better job expanding the character beyond paper and that must be rewarded.
    Again, any of them winning Oscar, SAG, BAFTA or anything else would suit me perfectly.

• Daniel Delago | January 13, 2014 6:36 AM

I liked how Steve McQueen thanked Brad Pitt during his speech. He said the film wouldn't have been made without his efforts as a producer and getting funding for the project. Pitt's Plan B Entertainment gets films made that mainstream Hollywood studios shy away from making. And Juan, David O. Russell is a gifted screenwriter and knows how to write interesting, multi-layered female characters. Amy Adams summed it up best in her thank you speech, "David, you write such amazing roles for women."

• Isreal | January 13, 2014 3:27 AM

You've said it all, Juan. Congrats to Jennifer once again.

• Pedro | January 12, 2014 11:31 PMReply

Lupita ;'(

I think Jennifer deserved the award, but Lupita deserved it more. I hope to not see this again at SAGs, BAFTAs and Oscars. Please!

• Lucas | January 12, 2014 10:56 PMReply

And the award for least deserving win goes to... Andy Samberg for Brooklyn Nine-Nine!

• Des Brown | January 12, 2014 10:33 PMReply

Alfonso Cuaron has won the Best Director award. Don't take that as an indication that he'll win the Best Director Oscar. The last 4 winners of the Golden Globe for Best Director were: Ben Affleck (Argo), Martin Scorcese (Hugo), David Fincher (The Social Network) and James Cameron (Avatar). None went on to win the Best Director Oscar.

• The Dude | January 12, 2014 10:12 PMReply

Really surprised that Andy Samberg won.

• Isreal | January 12, 2014 9:14 PMReply

Jennifer Lawrence fully deserved the win. Congrats Jen and Amy!

• Terrell | January 13, 2014 1:39 AM

you clearly havent seen any of the other films ..

• Terrell | January 12, 2014 8:27 PMReply

Lupita deserved best supporting actress. Hands down.

• Hera | January 12, 2014 10:13 PM

I agree!

• Rie Sano | January 12, 2014 9:03 PM

Lupita got robbed pure and simple. Just by the tweets alone America is so fascinated with Jennifer Lawrence that I'm thinking they are planning on making her win again next year when her movie "Serena" comes out. She is a nice girl, but Lupita's performance is so much better. But obviously with the trending tweets about JLaw's craze we are the minority here. Jennifer Lawrence just did the same performance Melissa Leo did for The Fighter. What's the point of great performances if it won't be awarded to the right people. Such a shame.

• M | January 12, 2014 8:47 PM

As much as I like Jennifer, she didn't really deserve it.