by Peter Knegt
January 4, 2014 7:22 PM

2014 Golden Globe Predictions: Best Supporting Actress

Indiewire will provide regular updates of our predictions for the Golden Globe Awards through January 12th, when the winners are announced.

With the epic snub of Oprah, this category is definitely Lupita N'yongo's to lose. Though Jennifer Lawrence is more than capable of an upset, as the Globes are probably a lot less fickle about turning her into a two time winner in just as many years (this is the organization that gave Helen Mirren, Kate Winslet and Sigourney Weaver two trophies in one night).

Our take below. Check out all predictions in all the categories here.

The nominees:
Sally Hawkins - "Blue Jasmine"
Jennifer Lawrence - "American Hustle"
Lupita N'yongo - "12 Years A Slave"
Julia Roberts - "August: Osage County"
June Squibb - "Nebraska"

Will win: Lupita N'yongo - "12 Years A Slave"
Could win: Jennifer Lawrence - "American Hustle"
Should win: Lupita N'yongo - "12 Years A Slave"
Shoulda been here: Margot Martindale - "August: Osage County"

• JD | January 8, 2014 11:34 PMReply

I don't get why the supporting acting is it divided into comedy and drama like the other categories.
    If it was, this is what I think the nominees would be
    Drama
    1. Lupita N'yongo "12 Years A Slave"
    2. Sally Hawkings "Blue Jasmine"
    3. Oprah "The Butler"
    4. Octavia Spencer "Fruitvale Station"
    5. Sarah Paulson "12 Years a Slave"
    Comedy
    1. Jennifer Lawrence "American Hustle"
    2. Julia Roberts "August: Osage County"
    3. June Squibb "Nebraska"
    4. Margot Martindale "August: Osage County"
    5. Scarlett Johannson "Her"

• Marley82 | January 6, 2014 10:01 AMReply

Lupita should definitely win, with a big emphasis on should, because we know how much Hollywood loves Jennifer. I saw Jennifer in AH and it was just okay, the film itself is a bit overrated . . . I think Amy Adams performance was by far better, actually, I couldn't help but find Jennifer a bit out of place, perhaps a more seasoned actress would have made the love triangle more believable. . .

• D4 | January 6, 2014 7:16 AMReply

That's "nominees" not "mominees".

• D4 | January 6, 2014 7:05 AMReply

Jennifer Lawrence is fantastic in American Hustle...a great film and Lawrence is the standout. I really don't care who wins. The mominees look good.

• NZAU | December 31, 2013 1:31 AMReply

I agree with this prediction as well. The stand out performance by a supporting actress is Lupita Nyongo by miles. There seems to be an obsession with Jennifer Lawrence in America so, they might just choose to favor her over Lupita. JLaw is a good actor but her turn in American Hustle was OK, not great, just OK. I could easily see a numbrer of other actresses taking on the role as she did and maybe even better than she did. Too much hype over her, maybe its the Hunger Games craze, maybe its the wholesome image, who knows but the best supporting actress is definitely Lupita Nyongo.

• Caleb | December 15, 2013 9:10 PMReply

This is a very good line up. Something upsets me though. I have not seen American Hustle so I cannot judge Jennifer Lawrence's performance, but I have seen 12 Years. Lupita N'yongo was fantastic in it no doubt. But just from the clips that I've seen Julia Robert's performance it looks fantastic (I am also a huge fan of the play.) Am I saying that Lupita wouldn't deserve this? Absolutely not. What I am saying is that Julia could just as easily get this despite the mixed reviews of the movie itself.